Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2001, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any recommendation for fast growing trees to form a privicy hedge? I would like this wall to eventually grow to 20-30'. The only trees I have found are "Austree". Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2001, 09:27 AM
Lawnsite Addict

Depending on the room you have a layered look works best, More important what are you wanting the trees to do, sound deading, wind block, hiding something?
Old 01-30-2001, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In general, anything fast growing will also be relatively short lived. Faster growth implies more long term maintenance. Could not readily find a mature height listed, but this tree will exceed your 20-30 ft height in 3 years, possibly in just two years.

There is also concern about salix matsudana x alba, the true scientific name, possibly being invasive. See http://www.act.gov.au/environ/willow/ . Would read as many other opinions on the web as you can, before deciding on this tree. It would be a great plant for temporary vertical interest or screening on a new site.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input, I will be using these trees to block the view of my neighbor's house. I have plenty of room, our houses are at least 600-700 ft apart, but I will be installing a hot tub on the back deck and would like more privacy. If these trees det bigger than 20-30' that is OK too, as long as they live atleast 30 yrs.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Fast growing" is synonymous with "First to fall" during wind or ice storms.

That said, search varieties of Holly, Poplar, Arborvitae.
Old 01-30-2001, 10:29 AM
Lawnsite Addict

So your looking for year round privacy Look at upright evergreens like austrain pine or scotch pine they should do what you are looking for.
Old 01-30-2001, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I wil start doing some research. When is the best time to plant. Early spring?
Old 01-30-2001, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A variety of Birch in the Mid-Atalntic grows real fast and is much cleaner than my Cork Screw Willows which are fast growing, but too dirty.
Old 01-30-2001, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mr. M., you first need to spend some time on your design requirements. Is the object to screen the hot tub from the neighbor, or screen the neighbor from the hot tub? If the latter, strategically placed shrubs or even ornamental grasses (grasses will not function full 12 months) of the appropriate height could accomplish your goals, while minimizing maintenance. Fast growing anything is usually a high maintenance item.
Old 01-31-2001, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Fall is a great time to plant things. Spring is second place, but also a good time. One thing to consider when thinking about fast growth - that sometimes includes a canopy that has a rising bottom; that is to say that while the tree may get large quickly, the needles/foliage may fall off/die back down below, leaving you a tall tree that has nothing blocking views for the first several feet (hot tub height).

Paul has the right idea, try to go with some kind of layered look. And you could add some perennials, or a 'green' fence to add some color.

Good luck!