Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2005, 05:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Electric Fans

What do you guys think of adding 2 small electric fans to a Kohler 18 HP that's in a walker. I was thinking of putting them where those plates are to clean out the air finns so you would have the air the motor moves plus the help of the electric fan's to help cool it. Everyone says it's the heat and dust that kills them. What do you think of this idea
Old 01-30-2005, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple L
What do you guys think of adding 2 small electric fans to a Kohler 18 HP that's in a walker. I was thinking of putting them where those plates are to clean out the air finns so you would have the air the motor moves plus the help of the electric fan's to help cool it. Everyone says it's the heat and dust that kills them. What do you think of this idea

Itís a good idea to add any extra cooling you can get. Before you do it make sure the alternator has enough amperage to run them, you donít want to overload your charging system.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spend some quality time with the owners manual and believe it. Use oem air and oil filters (never use compressed air to clean air filters), use 10w30 oil and keep the engine and everything in that area clean.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

How about raising the seat & putting the fans under it. The advantage is you keep your hydro pumps cool also.
Happy mowing
James
Old 01-31-2005, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought about adding a transmission cooler (small radiator) to the oil lines in the hydro system. I just need to convince myself that I can do it with out messing something up. I'm not the most mechanical person on the block, but I can turn a wrench

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:32 AM
LawnSite Member

A transmission oil cooler may be difficult due to the sealed unit nature of the Walker final drive.
Happy mowing
James
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grillonz
A transmission oil cooler may be difficult due to the sealed unit nature of the Walker final drive.
Happy mowing
James
I don't use walker's. I was talking mowers in general. My Dixie chopper came with one and Hustler Super Z comes with two of them with fans on each also. I was thinking about adding one to my Hustler Z (not super Z).

You do bring up a point though. It is probably more then just slapping a radiator in between the hoses. That is why I am afraid to try it.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:46 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as I know the Wright Sentar comes with an oil cooler as std. You could try having a look & seeing how they do it. Keeping the hydro oil at an even temp does insure a long life so well worth the effort.
I have an electric oil cooler on my mower & it does a lot to help esp. in the heat of summer.
Happy mowing
James
Old 01-31-2005, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Potential Walker engineers,

You shouldn't be worried about cooling in Ontario. We don't have any problems with cooling in very hot Southeastern weather.

The components such as the engines and hydros aren't just bought and installed by Walker. All components that will be warrantied by the original mfg. will be approved in each installation by that mfg..

The hydros don't need coolers, they just need to be kept clean and replace the fans when they get broken.

The biggest problem with Walker mowers is the operators. Like I posted earlier, "spend some quality time with the books that came with you mower".

I have owned Walkers since 1984 and have been a Walker dealer for several years.

Oldtimer
Old 01-31-2005, 06:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Oldtimer,
I take your point, however in my neck of the woods walkers without hydro pump failure or engine failure are the exception rather than the rule. The walker design is not really up to running large decks in heavy conditions day in & day out. A good operator does make all the difference but I know that if I owned a walker then I would prefer more cooling rather than less. Hydro pumps & engines tend to be expencive.
Happy mowing
James