Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-01-2005, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

John Deere 36" belt drive w/b?

This season I am putting the 52" deck on the Exmark TTHP so my helper can use it to accompany the 52" Ferris Z on larger properties, and it would be more useful that way in some places. But, on our small properties with gates and such, we still need 36". I thought of phasing out a couple of my less favorite small accounts, then using the Lawn Boy 21" on the rest, but I remembered some people we know are wantin to sell their 36" JD belt drive w/b with my old sulky that I sold them last summer (tough thing, heavier than other 2 wheeler's) anyway, I was thinking of seeing if they wanted to trade it to me for some mowings. They have a 4 acre yard. They have a Husqvarna junky lawn tractor too. They live right behind my new shop so no problem to do it of an evening or send my helper over there to do it or we both do it. For the amount I am thinking of offering, it wouldn't really be quite worth it this season, but it would be a great deal to them and the mower would last long enough to make it worth it. I've used it before at their house, it cuts and stripes pretty well for a John Deere. I'm not really a JD guy at all, but my Ferris dealer is also a JD dealer so thats not a big deal.

I think it maybe a GS30 but not sure? Think its a 12.5hp Kohler or else a 15hp but it is a Kohler. Clean little mower, not abused at all. Kept garaged always, paint and plastic not even faded. Nice little mower but I'm not too experienced with John Deere walk behinds. I hate that its belt drive but its not a major issue, most of the backyards to use it in are fairly open. It would be good to retain these clients and be able to take on more like them, and not have to use the 21", because I've already decided the big deck is going back on the TTHP (have a 36" on it now but also have the 52" deck). I would take the sulky off that JD and put it on my TTHP as my ProSlide is shot.

Any opinions on these mowers? Would I regret it?

Thanks,
Eric
Sorry for rambling, but hopefully you get a better idea of where i'm coming from and what I intend to use it for. It probably would see only a couple hours of use a week, so not much wear at all. I know in '04, the TTHP 36" only got an hour a week use most of the time (installed hourmeter/tach on it) but this year I'm sure we'll take on a few more gated yards if we have a 36" otherwise I will give away a couple of the gated lawns I have now, and pass on any others that come my way. Hate to throw away that money, the customers I have are decent customers and they know me as reliable and being for them but can't see any point in doing them with a push mower and they wouldn't pay more for it, especially since they didn't ask me to use it.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,
I have very limited exp. with JD commercial mowers. A few years ago I was shopping for a mower and checked at the JD dealer. He's a JERK!!! The thing I didn't like is the transmissions. They weren't peerless like most brands are. I don't know how reliable they are but I believe it is a JD part. If you're only using it a few hours a week this won't be an issue. There are some real JD users on here that can offer more insight. They also have good dealers. Matt
Old 02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Matt,
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I thought they had different transmissions but couldn't remember. It doesn't have a lot of hours on it, I'm sure it won't be a problem for me (knock on wood!). Did I mention that my Ferris dealer also sells Deere (actually they are primarily Deere and are a major dealer in the area). They are a pretty good dealer, and as I said, a major one too, plus they have a few other large dealerships that they own in the area, so they get parts very quickly.
Thanks for the reply.
Eric
Old 02-01-2005, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I first started back in 97, I owned 3 GS75 Deere 48" belt drive w/b's. We really put them through the mill. I always changed the oil, and greased them at the appropriate times. They were extremely durable, and I never did anything other than routine maintenance on them. The tranny was a maintenance free deal, I never broke the first drive belt in 4 yrs. only replacing the clutch to mower belt, and deck belt, usually once a season. I know the 36" is a little different as far as changing cutting hight and the belts, but I would much rather use it than the Lawnboy. They srtipe well and are pretty much trouble free.
Old 02-01-2005, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought another gs30 after 3 years with the first one and no problems other than recoil string replacement and a flat tire! Also after 1st season they did 400-500$ worth of new everything that could possibly need it for free under warranty at the dealer. Sweet! The old one still works great and has no issues, but it was time for a new one for having a back-up purposes. I highly recommend it.
No tranny problems whatsoever, and the reverse gear is very helpful sometimes.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate input from actual users. I did speak to the woman earlier and she said she would mention my idea to her husband as they were planning to get a new rider this year, well i may be able to help them for a while So we will see.....
Old 02-01-2005, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenScagMachines
Thanks for the replies guys, i appreciate input from actual users. I did speak to the woman earlier and she said she would mention my idea to her husband as they were planning to get a new rider this year, well i may be able to help them for a while So we will see.....
JD GS30, reliable, good cutting machine with a timed overlapping blade setup, this might limit doubles if they are in your plans.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

FSM, Your Posts are Way Too Long for me to Read..ADD...But I had a JD36" Belt Years Ago...Was not Pleased w/the Cut.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I know it has timed blades. But it makes the left hand blade closer to the back wheel for increased trimability. Doubles won't be necessary on this mower.

I used it last summer, thought it cut good, better than most JD's i've seen and used. I still don't know if these people will go for the deal, but if they do it will be worth it to me. Actually the areas it will mainly be used, perfect cut is not the primary goal, but I think it'll do fine for anything I need.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Surely someone else has or has had or uses a GS30 JD w/b???? C'mon people. tens of thousands of people visiting this message board and only a handful use John Deere Walk behinds? I don't beleive that.

One of the reasons you don't see me on here a lot anymore. I'm almost what you would consider an "old timer" in that i've been on here almost as long as some others, and much longer than most. But, this place has been growing a lot the whole time i've been here, and the quality and (sometimes) quantity of responses always gets worse. I understand if most of the new members are newbies in the biz and don't have experience with this machine or don't feel comfortable jumping in the conversation yet, but I KNOW there are gobs of long time users and members on here that have them.....