Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2005, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ryan spykaer.

Doe's anyone remember the ryan aerator they built in the early 70's. It was a 4 wheel,chain drive machine. It had a tripping clutch mechanism that woul'd raise and lower an axle of star/spyke blades spaced by cast iron weights. I woul'd call it the great grandfarther of todays slice seeders! Please,someone tell me they remember this machine! Perhaps i am the oldest member of this great website,Bummer!!!!!!!
Old 02-03-2005, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king
Doe's anyone remember the ryan aerator they built in the early 70's. It was a 4 wheel,chain drive machine. It had a tripping clutch mechanism that woul'd raise and lower an axle of star/spyke blades spaced by cast iron weights. I woul'd call it the great grandfarther of todays slice seeders! Please,someone tell me they remember this machine! Perhaps i am the oldest member of this great website,Bummer!!!!!!!
King, the furthest back for aerators that I remember using was the salco cam aerator. All I remember it was a big heavy metal box, with 2 little wheels on front casters and small dully wheels off the back. Man was that thing a beast on lawns, let alone getting it into the truck.

I went from using that to the Ryan lA28, now thats a nice walk behind cam aer, boy have times changed.

Where are you in this great state?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

old aerators.

I'm 20 miles south of boston in a little hamlet called abington. They tell me abington is an old wampatuck indian word for land of many beaver. I remember that salsco aerator very well,classen built a similar cam driven rig and that also took 3 men and a boy to operate. I ran those(2) ryans for years,then parts got real scarce. I had a box of replacement parts hidden in a dusty corner at sawtelle brothers in swampscott, MA. When they ran out i sold the machines to a guy that drove all the way up from trenton NJ to buy them! I'm running 2 lesco 30's i purchased new in 1985, i just keep replacing the flange bushings and an occasional blade weldment and they will not die. Lesco keeps things simple thats why i stay with them!
Old 02-03-2005, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm 20 miles south of boston in a little hamlet called abington. They tell me abington is an old wampatuck indian word for land of many beaver. I remember that salsco aerator very well,classen built a similar cam driven rig and that also took 3 men and a boy to operate. I ran those(2) ryans for years,then parts got real scarce. I had a box of replacement parts hidden in a dusty corner at sawtelle brothers in swampscott, MA. When they ran out i sold the machines to a guy that drove all the way up from trenton NJ to buy them! I'm running 2 lesco 30's i purchased new in 1985, i just keep replacing the flange bushings and an occasional blade weldment and they will not die. Lesco keeps things simple thats why i stay with them!
land of many beaver....hmmmmm.....

Oh and I checked your profile, yah your old....older than me that is...but not the oldest....jab jab
Old 02-03-2005, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought my first Ryan Lawnaire 28

back in 1988. A year later I bought the Ryan Mataway overseeder. Back then I think I paid in the mid 3000 range for each. In Dallas I only know of one company selling and servicing them and that is Luber Bros. Good machines, I would recommend them highly.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

aerators

Ryan has built many quality aerators over the years. I purchased a 3 point aerator a couple of years ago, i would have bought the ryan but there lightest model was 1200 lbs. I went with the woods/gill pl 60. It weighs in at 450 lbs and has built in trays for additional weight. It doe's an awesome job and it's built like a tank. I will sat this about woods equipment, if it's a moving part,it has a grease fitting!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Location: central virgina, transition, plant hardy zone 7a, and heat index zone 7
Quote:
Yes, used on gc
Primarly work with cool season turf
Old 03-27-2008, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Does Anyone Have Parts To A Old Salsco Core Cam Aerator? Front Caster Wheel For Starters And Possibly And A Clutch Rod Or Lever
Old 03-28-2008, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those old Lesco 30's were an awesome unit. they jut sort of "walk" along. LOL...Actually, they stole that idea...from Maaaajorrrr Maaaaaatt Maaaaaaasoonnnnn! and his "Lunar Rover"...Now,...who remembers THIS!?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhhHp...eature=related

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

mngrassguy

yup, ran one during the mid 80's when I worked for Tru-green. Some one finally messed it up good by running it up a chain link fence. Took 3 of us and a cutting torch a whole day to get it untangled. Needless to say the aerator lost the battle