Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2005, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any good granular weed and feeds for use in N.Y.?

I usually spray weeds but my county has a law stating that all neighbors must be notified 48 hrs before any liquid app. I've used 24D granular, doesn't do it for me, any other suggestions?
Old 02-03-2005, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBingo
I usually spray weeds but my county has a law stating that all neighbors must be notified 48 hrs before any liquid app. I've used 24D granular, doesn't do it for me, any other suggestions?
Talk to Doug at Lesco
He will be the best for this kind of advice.
It is my understanding that Liquids would be more effective but like you said 48 hr law limits you. Either go to an all granular or find out which liquids are 48 hr exempt.

Jason
Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Granular weed & feeds do not work as well as liquid but I can relate to your problem. If you have to use granular, the smaller the particle the better! It may cost you a little more but the bottom line is that the granules need to "stick" to the weeds for control. The lawn should also be wet when applying the product. The only other solution is to meet DEC guidelines and come up with a 32oz non-pressurized sprayer.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've heard Lebanan's granular Confront works well;but it's not permitted inNY.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How are the larger lawn care companies dealing with this?
Old 02-07-2005, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Member

We are small but we notify (well) ahead of time for any spraying. It really is not a big deal for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

So what's the earliest you can notify? Can you notify a week early that you you will be out to spray during a 24 hour period? You must have some contact list that is provided by the state. I would have a recored message with a computer program to call all the pita's. Sounds like a nightmare if you start getting rained out a few days in a row.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There is no time limit on how far in advance you have to notify. I have notified some for the year already. With the stipulation that if weather or unforseen circumstances force a change in our timing we will notify them.

Jason-
There are no liquid exempt products that are selective for weeds in lawns. There is pretty much an exempt product for everything else though. Go figure.

Charlie Bingo-
Jason is right check with Dougie they may have come out with something new this winter but I don't think they have. Or give me a PM if you don;t want the headache of doing the apps and dealing with all the new laws. I am going full time with my application business as we speak.

Bryan
Old 02-08-2005, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie
There is no time limit on how far in advance you have to notify. I have notified some for the year already. With the stipulation that if weather or unforseen circumstances force a change in our timing we will notify them.

Jason-
There are no liquid exempt products that are selective for weeds in lawns. There is pretty much an exempt product for everything else though. Go figure.

Charlie Bingo-
Jason is right check with Dougie they may have come out with something new this winter but I don't think they have. Or give me a PM if you don;t want the headache of doing the apps and dealing with all the new laws. I am going full time with my application business as we speak.

Bryan
Bryan,

There are no liquid exempt products that are selective for weeds in lawns.
That is good to know. I don't really understand why but Hey that is NY.
How long have you been licensed? I am currently taking the pesticide training course for 3A and am wondering how hard these test's are? I am going nut's because I do not test well. I have been studying and doing some of my own research, but I am afraid that this test is going to kill me. What do you recommend that I concentrate on for the core test? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason
Old 02-08-2005, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been licensed since 1997 and boy have the test requirements changed. The best thing that I can tell you is understand your label. Know your calculations. Don't get confused when they give you multiple answers that could all be correct, pick the most correct answer.
If you are taking the class with Don he should be able to give you some pointers as he is probably more up on the current test format.

Don;t forget a calculator.