Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2005, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sacrificing my body to cut lawns

A lot has happened to me over the last 8yrs of cutting lawns. I'm lucky that I still have all my limbs.

1. I had an unknown object fly out of the back of a walk behind and slice my calf muscle open & I had to get 6 stitches inside my leg

2. I got hit by a car from behind on a Dixie Chopper while riding down the street. Mower was totally fine, but the car had to be towed away due to a flat tire and the front bumper was all smashed off.

3. I was edging a sidewalk and a nail flew up and shot right into my leg. I was wearing pants and initially thought it was just a rock that hit me. I tried to pull my pants up but couldn't't because they were nailed to my leg.

4. I was in a hurry one Saturday morning and while cutting w/a walk behind I needed to change the deck height, so I stopped and reached under the deck to lift it up but the blades were still rotating, and I sliced 3 of my fingers. One was so bad that I had to get surgery on it and is a little deformed looking to this day.

The crazy thing is, after all these things happened to me, I still went right out the same day to continue cutting lawns because I own the business and don't have time to stop.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Does your wife have a good insurance policy on you? In 7 years the only thing Ive had to happen was stuck my hand under deck with blades turning (thought I had them off) luckily it just knicked 2 fingers real good. Several yellow jacket encounters but thats about it.
echo hedge clippers
echo long pole hedge clippers
Redmax weedeater
echo 650 BP blower
6 x 16 trailer
5 x 8 trailor
2001 Chevy LS Silverado
Polaris Sportsman 500 AWD ATV
last but not least, TWINS!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Iv had a few close calls with my eyes thatís about it. You find that gentle looking branch was really pruned by the homeowner and the leaves conceal its true shape and as you mower under/through it the end is a stub 1 inch thick. It stapes you in the fore head scratching you as it goes down to your eye brow skips your eye catches your glasses knocks them off as well as you head phones. Lands on your cheek and scratches you another inch or so before you can stop the mower which happens to be a ZTR on 25 degree slope 10 feet from a 4ft retaining wall that drops off to the road thatís what I call a bad day. And thatís not the only time I have found a branch that got under my glasses and nearly got me. Thatís really the only thing I worry about when I am out there.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

tree branches can be a real pain. One time when going under a tree there was a hornets nest and I got stung real bad and broke out into hives.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

thight angles, you should check out the Networking Forum...there is a Michigan section. a few of us meet every month.

sorry about your fingers. i am a part time and i guess have been lucky so far. knock on wood.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to manhood and the realities of - working - for a living. As you grow older you will certainly be amazed at what the human body can withstand. I wont bore you with my extensive list of battle wounds but I will say that Each day the words "be careful" should become more ingrained in your mind.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight Angles
tree branches can be a real pain. One time when going under a tree there was a hornets nest and I got stung real bad and broke out into hives.
HORNETS SUCK!!!!! Last year while weedeating down some thick ivy I was stung 8 times, I dropped my trimmer and proceeded to dance somersaults around the customers yard while looking up into my shorts for more of the little freaks. I must have taken out a few of them in the fury. This year I will be carrying hornet spray.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardworking-poorman
Does your wife have a good insurance policy on you? In 7 years the only thing Ive had to happen was stuck my hand under deck with blades turning (thought I had them off) luckily it just knicked 2 fingers real good. Several yellow jacket encounters but thats about it.

After last summer, I consider myself OFFICIAL YELLOWJACKET BAIT! I was stung on the back of the leg, arm, and neck. And, these attacks were on three different days at three different sites. All were sustained in fenced backyards. Those SOB's love to hide their nests behind a fence post and under the top rails of wooden fences. I now carry a can of spray that can knock them down from 15 feet! If they fly, they die!
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I was weed wacking tday. I thought I had finished so I took off my sun glasses. I noticed one blade of grass so (without putting my glasses back on) I gave the ol stihl a little gas to cut the blade of grass and a rock flew up and hit me in the eye. It was one of those hits that would have taken the glasses off your face. I had my eye completely open and felt the rock literally move my eye. I can see out of it alright, it's just watering real bad tonight. Feel free to call me a lazy dumbash!

Greg
Old 02-03-2005, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have any real good stories, but I tell you one thing, all those scratches on your arms.... CHICKS DIG 'EM!
Pair of scissors
Broom and dustpan
lots of Misc equipment... too much to list!!

Looking for running or not running equip near GR MI.