Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2005, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Putting grease fittings on

I have an 48" exmark metro. There aren't any grease fittings on the spindles. The manual says that they are these new bearings or something that are pre-greased with some special grease and do not need to be greased at all. I feel skeptical about this and read a thread on here about somehow drilling into the spindle and applying your own grease fittings. Would you recommend doing this and if anyone has done this what is the proper way to do it? Thanks.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sealed bearings have been around for a while, and they work great. They don't forget to grease themselves. They're used on a lot of new cars now too. I say leave it.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

LEAVE IT ALONE i have a tthp that is 5 yrs old still to this day the only thing i have replaced is a belt. spindles are sealed for a reason. the new tt i bought in april has the front casters sealed to. my dealer said when you use a grease gun on these kind of things you usually end up contaminating the bearings with crap stuck to the grease gun.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

After going through 2 sets of bearings on my Metro I decided to install grease fittings. You drill the housing from underneath and point the fittings toward the discharge so rocks and other debris doesn't get thrown at them.

Old 02-04-2005, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

If you drill a hole and add a zerk then you will have to remove the bearings, take the inner seals off of the bearings, and then reinstall the bearings. You are just looking for trouble!!
Old 02-04-2005, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The grease pushes right by the seals. This is something I have done and it works very well.

Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldnt mess with it, im sure your voiding all sorts of warranties also by doing that.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodguy001
If you drill a hole and add a zerk then you will have to remove the bearings, take the inner seals off of the bearings, and then reinstall the bearings. You are just looking for trouble!!
I was going to post this also. The bearings themselves are sealed, from what I have read.

This issue of pumping dirt into the spindles is for ******s. Anyone would know to clean his grease from debris before injecting it into the spindles.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark used to have greasable bearings but the sealed ones last longer. We recently had a mower in our service department with 1700 hours on the original bearings. This customer always keeps sharp and balanced blades on all his equipment.

If you must reinvent the wheel then remove the inner seals on each bearing, otherwise you are trying to lube sealed bearings. When you pull the seals there is nothing to hold grease in the upper bearing and the lower bearing becomes a grease pump.

You could leave the eXmark spindles alone and concentrate on keeping very sharp and balanced blades on all your mowers. The payoff will be much better.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think scag is the only mfg. that actually has tapered bearings in the spindles. The rest have the sealed bearings and many will have grease fittings installed along with the sealed bearings.

I would just leave it alone. If you wash your equipment alot, just make sure you blow the water from around the spindles after washing.