Register free!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

TG/CL...how many apps to they really do per year?

I'd like to hear from some folks in the know about TG/CL.

This week, a salesman from TG/CL left a lawn analysis form at my home. I laughed out loud when I saw it. It was incredibly inaccurate, but that's not the point of discussion here.

In any event, the form indicated that apps are performed every 4 to 6 weeks. Pay as you go with no contract. Well that can be a big deal when considering total cost. My impression is that they will do about 10 apps per year in the Georgia climate. And of course the customer is probably expecting 6 or 7. I'd really like to know because this will help me sell against them. My guess is that they slide in as many as possible.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes they will sell six , but then they sell other additional services and that amounts to 10-11 apps a year if you bought the addional apps.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I had picked up a customer from chemlawn last fall who had already recieved 11 apps on a 2 acre property. We normally do 5 to 6 max. They soaked her for a bunch of money. They are all about the sale not the service. They also send a lot of customers my way by this practice. I hope they continue.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

They do what i call shotgunning around her'e. They bombard an area with all forms of advertising and pull as much recipts as possable out of that area, then they move on. For 27 seasons i have observed this pattern, i pick up new clients from the wake of insect damage they leave beheind!
Old 02-06-2005, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Member

My basic program is 4 applications per year. Some of my customers upgrade and get lawn insect control once or two times in addition, on another note, I offer a 2 time per year treatment spring and fall. It is nearly the same price as the basic, but includes everything I would do for the basic (4X) program. The kicker is time and marketing. I'm not trying to sound full of myself, but, my time is money. By selling the 2x program it frees up time to make more applications. Marketing, the customer is saving money by buying the 2x program and can always call back if they have an insect problem.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Up here in the midwest, most basic services are five applications...some do six.
Last year we had a very mild warm Fall, so many of us got finished unusually early.
I heard that TG/CL added a "bonus" application...)
Old 02-18-2005, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William J. L.
Up here in the midwest, most basic services are five applications...some do six.
Last year we had a very mild warm Fall, so many of us got finished unusually early.
I heard that TG/CL added a "bonus" application...)
Had not heard about the "bonus" but you are probably correct.An application of nothing is nothing. In NW Ohio I see alot of their application records that state 2lb per 1m square (28-3-10) so yes they need to do many trips based on that to get to the 4 lb N per 1m total.6-8 trips is common 4-6 in landscape also. I have seen a switch to Barricade from pre M so a hog $$ must of been cut there.I hope they dont change because I dont have to advertise much with the way they do business here.90% of my new business each year is from them When I see them running in Febuary I ask them if they are still applying from last year or starting this year
Old 02-18-2005, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

As many apps as you let them do

I am beginning a business this spring, having left tgcl after 5 years. They begin with a base program of 6 apps in the northeast. This "base program" quiclkly climbs to 8,9,10+ apps a year. If the customer lets the add services (assuming the customer knows) they will add apps until the first snowfall. The company will lose upto 40-50% of their customers from year to year which keeps the little guys very happy. But somehow, they seem to regain a new 40-50% for the next year.
Having seen their salesman in action on a regular basis, I will have no problem taking customers from them. I am not even poaching from my route that I had there due to distance. If you supply even a hint of customer service, you will be taking customers from them easily, and once they see what tgcl does, they will be willing to pay whatever you charge.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

I've seen their salesman in action too. They pull up, and with their vehicle still running, they walk around the lawn, take some notes and they're gone. In the meantime I'm wheeling their measurements , checking for thatch, and knock on the door and introduce myself. You're right...just a hint of customer service will get you a signature on the dotted line.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:02 PM
LawnSite Member

MassLawnMan, did you work in North Andover? Just curious