Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Help With A Bid?

Just got started full time this year. Hope it turns out better than the snow I've not been pushing! Today I got a list from a property management company on apartment buildings open to bids. Could someone tell me if I'm on the right track. Both are flat terrain and will be mow, trim, and blow walkways. #1 was 43,136 sq.ft and I'll be mowing with a 42" rider or walk behind. Just myself will be doing the work and have little to no overhead. Was thinking $75 - $85 wkly. Does this sound like alot?
#2 Is also flat and just mow, trim, and blow. It's 70,530 sq. ft. and w/ 52''
walk behind mower. Have no idea! I've found by sq.ft. and what other guys are bidding I can come up with a .002 multiplier - that would make this one $141.00 a wk - is that high? A little different than bidding 9000 sq. ft. res.
Am I on the right track?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i am no expert, but i will bid on a commercial, 1.5 acres at about $65-75 pretty soon.
do you know about how long it will take you at each place? i
Old 02-04-2005, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

No I've never mowed this big of area, just usually avg. residential and small comm.
If you'll bid 1.5 acres at $65 to $75 than my way of thinking with 70,530 sq. ft. x .002 is way to high. Right?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, my place will not have any edging and very little trimming.... to tell you the truth, i really hate bidding because it's so hard to know how long it will take me.

i have a 4 acre lot that i get $125, no trimming or edging. but they are friends.

i'd probably go $125 if i were you....but again, i dont have any commercials righ now.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for your comments. Anything will help right now. I have 7 other bids along with these two that range between 23,000 & 65,000 sq. ft. and hate to lose them and look bad when I hand in my bid. Anyones suggestions will Help. Thanks Guys!!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much trimming ?
Old 02-05-2005, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me, I;d go back and walk it as thought I were
1. trimming it
2. blowing it clean
3. add up that time for each location

then post back here....the devil is ALWAYs in the details. 2 wide open acres is nothing for most machines....but 3/4 or 1 acre with sidewalks, beds, signs etc, is a whole different story
Old 02-05-2005, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterslawn
Just got started full time this year.------ Hope it turns out better than the snow I've not been pushing! ------Just myself will be doing the work and have ***little to no overhead.*** Was thinking $75 - $85 wkly. Does this sound like alot?
141.00 a wk - is that high? A little different than bidding 9000 sq. ft. res.
Am I on the right track?
Just started full time and it looks like you had a bad deal with snow??

You say you have no overhead---Please rethink that.

Apt. with walks and trimming is not 1 acre of open land.
I do not know the lot but I would believe it would be like 5 of your smaller residential lots. Are you charging 5 x's that rate. I feel that you are low.

How long does it take you to trim 100 feet. Edge 100 feet, mow 10000 feet,
You have to know your time and than measure the property and plug in the numbers.
You have to know your overhead. AND YOU HAVE A LOT OF IT!!! Learn your cost of doing business. You are afraid of looking bad. Do yourself a favor and look good. Pass on this one right now. Learn more about your business and how to make profit. When you are ready you can go and bid anything with confidence. Making a mistake on a big job can hurt you for a long time.
Please don't take this the wrong way but it feels like you are not ready for this big of a job. Grow slow and you will be better in the end.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

PM is giving you some very good advice.
Condos, apt complexes can be VERY tricky to price right..even by guys who have been in the biz allot longer than you...and they often do NOT make the best type of customer and too often shop for the lowest bidder every single year. Personally, I run from them...and cemetaries
Old 02-05-2005, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all your advice. It's well taken. I went and looked back over the properties this morning. #1 has no landscaping and trimming can be done in 20 min. or less. Very simple lot. #2 has lots of shrubs and trees and trimming could take 30 min. and 10 - 15 to blow off. Not alot of grass close to building, just blvds and 54,000 sq ft of the 70,530 is open cutting with med trees (10) Once agian thanks for your input. Thats why I joined here!!