Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-11-2005, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

look into getting a mentor. ALCA used to offer such a program... duno if its still around now that it is PLANET. there is no reason to go this alone, but no one is going to hold your hand either.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I guess i need to know what types of marketing work best. For obtaining more landscape (installs and so on)??
Old 02-13-2005, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When reading all the entire thread, the longer it goes the more unsure it sounds like you are. This reply isn't Meant to be a negative for you ,but I feel you should be sure of your business, market around you and what new accounts you can realisticly sign. If you are not sure than than maybe try to hold off a year. If your sure that it'll work than finalize your plan, Start going for those new accounts and "go for it". I usually see that uncertainty does nothing but holds business's back. Sometimes a little sometimes alot. There is always unknown factors, but none of us here can help you with those. Its now down to you, and the strength of your business and available market. I always have 1 more helper in my decisions (other than my Wife LOL) and thats God. I'm not a every sunday church goer, but he does help us in ways we don't always see. Best of luck, and by all means keep growing. Cause a stale business will get you no where.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Garden. Good point, got a lot of stats and info to review!
Old 02-13-2005, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What type of ads/mktg work best for you>? direct, indirect, local paper, door hangers, cold calls.?? thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Instead of all that money spent advertising - do a buy out of a local competitor or friendly foe willing to get out of business!

That should increase sales, work load, accounts, and your time!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That would be sweet. but what do i do? call every LCO and see if they are thinkin of goin out of biz.? good idea, but i think i need a way to drum up my own biz. I've tried door hangers - not much luck. thinkin of direct mail, buying a list, and doing the mailings myself. What do you think?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know your area at all and every one has a different approach, tactic, and moral / ethical business idea of what to do and to do.

One example of what we did two years ago. There was an area "boy" that starting mowing and took a few of our residential accounts. He was 16, driving, dad's money, but a nice kid. Dad was well known and that was his leverage.

Well, I offered him a job and a small finders fee for the yards that he had in return he work for us.

He is still with us and I gained 18 accounts, 4 which were ours in the beginning, and everyone is happy.
Old 02-15-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good idea, i could try that
thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 02:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Law of Diminishing Returns

The Law of Diminishing Returns in economics, is a law stating that if one factor of production is increased while the others remain constant, the overall returns will relatively decrease after a certain point. Thus, for example, if more and more laborers are added to harvest a wheat field, at some point each additional laborer will add relatively less output than his predecessor did, simply because he has less and less of the fixed amount of land to work with. The principle, first thought to apply only to agriculture, was later accepted as an economic law underlying all productive enterprise. The point at which the law begins to operate is difficult to ascertain, as it varies with improved production technique and other factors. So keep this in mind, what goes up must come down. Don't jump in head first.