Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-31-2005, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

how soon do you put an ad for help?

with the season coming up, technically i have no worker. i lost 2 amigos last year, they each did half of the season, and i finished up on my own. My brother who has years of experience, is limited availabilty. i have never hired through the paper ever, always through someone. how soon before the season you suggest? do you put the wage you're offering in the ad? iwas told if you run it for a week, you will be flooded with calls, that a day to 3 days is suffice.. what do you think?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Adam-If it were me I would run the ad on a Sunday since thats the day with the most ads and when people seem to look is on the weekend.I would not put a wage in because it may vary depending on experience unless you have a maximum amount you can or are willing to pay.Just my 2 cents I have never placed an ad for help but I may have to this year depending on how the advertising goes.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 01-31-2005, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i really didn't want tp put a wage, but at the same time, i'm too nice sometimes and agree to higher wages then wanted. just for example, (these are just numbers here), if i'm looking for 1 $9 an hour guy, and a guy calls suggesting 13.. i may wind up going to 11.
Believe it or not, the labor wages here are pretty cheap. my brothe rin law has 5 guys. 3 get around 6.50, th eother 2, more experienced get around 7.50.... plus lunch. he's had those guys for years. the cheapest labor i had was 7 an hour, lunch and i treated him right. i'm going to have to spend more to keep a guy around enough to get me to expand... like we talked about in the fall. but at the same time, exapnding means more workers then before, hopefully at a lower rate then 1 really qualified guy. it's alittle confusing..
Old 01-31-2005, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

ASAP, start a list, springs right around the corner
i got a list of ten possibles all ready.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Lawn
Adam-If it were me I would run the ad on a Sunday since thats the day with the most ads and when people seem to look is on the weekend.
Smart idea. Adam around me, I don't know of anyone paying less then 10 bucks an hour for decent/reliable help.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Holy crap!

$6.50 and hour plus a friggin burrito!?!?

Wish that worked here

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 01-31-2005, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too cold up there in NH for Juan & Pepe there Mark...lol
Old 01-31-2005, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Too cold up there in NH for Juan & Pepe there Mark...lol
You got that right! It's too cold for a whitey like me!

Guys up here want $15 an hour, can't work when it's hot, can't work when it's cold, can't work in the rain, and look at you like you got 2 heads when you tell them to start moving block

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 01-31-2005, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Lawn
Adam-If it were me I would run the ad on a Sunday since thats the day with the most ads and when people seem to look is on the weekend.I would not put a wage in because it may vary depending on experience unless you have a maximum amount you can or are willing to pay.Just my 2 cents I have never placed an ad for help but I may have to this year depending on how the advertising goes.

I would agree with Lux Lawn about placing the ad over the weekend. That always seemed to work for me in my different industries. If your looking for experienced guys you may want to put in a price range from average pay of a beginner to a foreman's pay. This way you will get a good range of responses maybe even some white folk from different industries. Some guys in the industry is always looking to work for more money. So if they see that that might make them want to call.

I have had good ads and bad ad responses. I dont know about your area but the last couple years I have been able to get some real good responses due to the unemployed market. I would get 100-200 calls most sounded drunk or didnt have a call back number or didn't have a means of transportation and I only saw a few come in to fill out an application. Now we advertise in the latin paper and at the colleges. The only problem we have had with college kids is that they seem to damage the vehicles but they speak english. Every large metro area has latin papers

Remember everybody who is replying to an ad is looking for immediate work so be ready to employ them. Whens the last time you were given a two week notice? You know these guys dont care about shooting them in the feet. If they leave with notice we will wish them well. Then they can come back for work in the future if things don't work for them which always happens.

Another good idea is get a sign place to print up a small employment (help wanted or career opportunity)sign to put on your trailer or truck. This way you only pay once and will get calls throughout the year which you can keep a log of for when you may need some extra help. These spanish guys are always looking for extra work.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

well, you get what you pay for some times. i had an 8 dollar who was worth nothing. then i had a 7.50 guy who was excellent, i'd comeout in the morning, and he's fixing equipment!
so it's always a gamble. but it has come cumbersome to keep teaching the same things year after year. when i had my brother full time, it ran like clockwork.
if there was a plausible way to work solo, and get big enough to make real money.. solo wiped me out last fall. never again if i can help it.

mark,
15? no way. i actually got criticized for paying 8. other bigger complanies said that was way too much when you're cutting, how many guys do you have on the clock for 15 an hour? if i'm paying someone 15 anhour, i'm not getting out of my truck the entire day.

i guess it depends on the amount of helpers you have. this year i would like to take on 2 guys, along with myself.