Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-06-2005, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsByJon
How about your local Ag-Way or other similar commercial truck gas station. Most of the ones around here have diesel and regular gas, and they're generally set up to accomodate larger trucks.

Not always convenient based on where you're going, but it can be alot better than going to a normal gas station.
Nothing like that in the immediate vicinity. I've thought about driving to a point about 20 minutes west of here, but it would save me only about 10 cents a gallon. That's going to come to only about ten bucks a week. Hardly worth a forty-minute round trip.

It's not that gassing up is THAT big a deal, but you know how it is: a smart operation reduces miscellaneous time to a bare minimum. Every minute spent doing something other than making money is...well, time spent doing something other than making money!

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a 55 gallon custom made aluminum tank in the back of my Chevy crew cab dually, hooked up to my gas tank. Not for LCO, for when I hook-up to the 38' race trailer I haul around for my son to go Kart Racing. Have a generic fuel tank transfer switch hooked up so tank gravety feeds to truck tank. When gauge goes towards empty,I flip the switch and watch the gauge go up. That way I don't have to stop every 10 minutes to fill up, now only have to stop every 20 minutes.
Old 02-06-2005, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not too crazy about having a bunch of gas tanks on my trailer out in the open... I keep em in a vented tool box on the trailer. The last thing I want is for someone to throw a cig out the window and ignite my trailer and equipment.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The answer is DIESEL!! hehe. All kidding aside, our maintenance truck is diesel, and a tank will last all week. We carry 30 gal of fuel in the trailer, plus all the machines full. At 45' long, our maintenance setup has no problems at gas stations, being that we take up most of the lot anyway, and block out anyone we need.

I would have to agree that you don't want too many cans of fuel hanging around in the back of your truck. DOT tends to frown upon things like that.

<=====<<<< Success is getting what you want and happiness is wanting what you get.>>>>=====>
Old 02-06-2005, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not proposing driving around all bloody day every day with 50 gallons of gas on board. The whole bunch of 'em would only be on the truck for the 20 minutes or so it takes me to get them to the storage bin.

I wasn't terriby clear, but the idea is to fill up on the weekend and put the cans away immediately, not tote 'em around.

Old 02-06-2005, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
I'm not proposing driving around all bloody day every day with 50 gallons of gas on board. The whole bunch of 'em would only be on the truck for the 20 minutes or so it takes me to get them to the storage bin.

I wasn't terriby clear, but the idea is to fill up on the weekend and put the cans away immediately, not tote 'em around.
Thats what I do, when were almost out I'll bring about 8 five gallon cans home and fill em on the way to work at 6am. The GMC C4500 deisel usually lasts all week on a tank.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From the comments made, I gather that most of you are using 5 gal cans for refueling mowers, and other power equipment. Does anybody use any larger container, such as a Gas Caddy (see Northern Tool)? Perhaps it is not possible to transport in the Caddy -- only to store and dispense if filled from another source.

I use several 5 gallon cans, plus two six gallon marine steel cans. Somebody gave the marine cans to me, but I must siphon out the fuel. They were never made to pour, rather have a hose connection.

But, I'm tired of all the fuss with the cans, so am looking for an alternative. I use only about 25-30 gallon per week. I make a special trip with cans on my trailer, fill them, then transport home, back to the barn -- I never carry them any further than the simple to/from trip.

Is the tried and proven five-gallon can method still the best?
Old 02-06-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
From the comments made, I gather that most of you are using 5 gal cans for refueling mowers, and other power equipment. Does anybody use any larger container, such as a Gas Caddy (see Northern Tool)? Perhaps it is not possible to transport in the Caddy -- only to store and dispense if filled from another source.

I use several 5 gallon cans, plus two six gallon marine steel cans. Somebody gave the marine cans to me, but I must siphon out the fuel. They were never made to pour, rather have a hose connection.

But, I'm tired of all the fuss with the cans, so am looking for an alternative. I use only about 25-30 gallon per week. I make a special trip with cans on my trailer, fill them, then transport home, back to the barn -- I never carry them any further than the simple to/from trip.

Is the tried and proven five-gallon can method still the best?

$400 for the Caddy? I just can't spring multiple hundreds of dollars for every last thing I could make use of. I saw that item earlier today somplace else on the Web. No dice.

I still think the weekend fill-up is the least obnoxious of the choices unless you're a five-crew operation and can rationalize a hundred-gallon gas tank. Of course, you'd need a 3/4-ton pickup to haul that much gas.

Old 02-06-2005, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What do I do I pick the most trailer friendly gas station I can find. Price is important but I feel the ease of getting in and out is more so. Also is it just me or does it always seem the stations with double pumps that allow you to fill the truck and the trailer at the same time are always 10-20 cents more then the cheapest stations.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got the sweetest deal on the planet for fuel...

We rent a building ON THE PREMISIS of a commericial, card activated commercial fuel station. The building is owned by the oil company.

They sell us fuel AT COST, and there is on road, off road, and gas.

All I have to do is pay the rent (minimal, well worth it, right in town), mow the grass, push the snow, and take out the trash from outdoor cans.

The value of having flex-space positioned right in town is priceless. The fuel is dirt-cheap, got my last bill and off-road diesel was $1.42, on road $1.79.

The beauty of it is I don't have any headaches over fuel, don't have responsibility over tanks, and monthly bill itemizes everything.

I have been in there 4 seasons now. I noticed the vacant building and approached the oil dealer with my idea, and they liked it.

KB