Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-06-2005, 06:40 PM
scottt scottt is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 269
941 Corrections

I've made a mistake on my 4th quarter 941 and need some help. I'm going to my accountant at the end of the week, but would like some help between now and then. PLEASE only post if you've had the exact same situation and got it resolved correctly as there are a couple of twists that are giving me fits. I know we have some accountants on this board so that is why I'm posting. This will not be the most exciting post you've ever read, but I need some help.
Let me say first this was from my 4th quarter of 2004 and I am an S corp. The mistake was on my pay, not an employees. I will give some fictitious numbers for clarification. I showed my wages as $10 for the quarter when in fact they were supposed to be $2. I withheld the extra tax and already sent off my 941 and payed income tax on the $8 I shouldn't have. My SS and Medicare taxes are correct, I just need to correct the income tax. I need to report an adjustment to show I only was paid $2 and would like to use the extra tax paid as a credit for the 1st quarter of 2005. Hear is where I'm having trouble. I was going to file a 941c, however Pub. 15 circ. E says you can only make adjustments for the same calendar year due to the info on W-2's. I have not yet printed MY W-2, only my employee's. The publication says you cannot adjust income tax withholding in prior years unless it is an administrative error which does not change the amount you withheld. My mistake will change this amount. However, since I have not printed my W-2 yet, can I just make changes and on 941c and put the correct numbers on my W-2? I'm thinking not because you must file a 941c with the next quarter's 941? If you've read this far, thank you very much.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:40 AM
MMLawn's Avatar
MMLawn MMLawn is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winchestertonfieldville
Posts: 3,574
Over the years we have had a couple 941 issues. I will tell you that the IRS checks every single business' 941's against the W2's and W3 to make sure they all match up. What I would do is (if your CPA agrees) is go ahead and file the Amended 941 and just like the IRS send you a check back for the overpayment. They will do that on their own once they see the overpayment for what was reported as they did on us one time. That way you stay in the same year.
"There are no stupid questions.....but there are stupid People that ask them"

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 12:06 PM
tiedeman's Avatar
tiedeman tiedeman is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: earth
Posts: 8,747
I wouldn't worry about it. You will get a refund. I did a mistake on my one of mine back in 2002, and I just received a notice this fall that I messed up and I am going to receive a refund of about $141.00
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:21 PM
Fantasy Lawns's Avatar
Fantasy Lawns Fantasy Lawns is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 1,914
Yep they'll send a check when they catch the error

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
scottt scottt is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 269
Thanks for the replies, I was a little worked up and wanted to fix it immediately I'll meet the accountant on thursday and see what her opinion is too. Thanks again.
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Layout Style:

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012,™ - Grand View Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.07384 seconds with 10 queries