Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Help the Marketing Idiot spend $1,500!

Ok. This is the first year I will be doing any kind of marketing. I have some ideas but would like some advice from those who have "Been there, done that."

I'm a one man (will have an occasional helper) Co with a 36 scag. I'm looking to get 50+ clients to start my business with this spring (2005). I would like the average weekly cut to be about $25-$35. I live in Southern NJ and I'm looking to start marketing in two weeks (Today's date: 2/9/05). I will be offering; Lawn Maintenance (cut, trim, edge, clean), Fall/Spring clean-ups, Dethatching, Aeration/Overseeding, Mulch, Flowerbeds, Small Shrub & Tree Service.

I only have $1,500. to reach as many potential customers as possible. I have no problem getting out there and mass flyer (3-4 hr a day over the next two months). My area has thousands of potential clients (house value over $150,000) along with, what seems to be; thousands of lawn care providers (some reputable, some not so reputable). If I gain 30- clients I keep my fulltime job and work after 4pm, if I get 50+ I leave my job and go full time.

I hope I have given enough information for you to get some insight, as to where Iím at now. (P.S. Sorry if I misspelled stuff, No time to spell check this. LOL)

What would your suggestions be on an appropriate marketing attack plan?

Ad in papers (Local, County), Direct mail, mass flyers (door hangers?)?

Help the Marketing Idiot spend $1,500!

Thanks
Shane Scaife
Old 02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I got an idea!

Send that $1500.00 to me and I'll tell everybody I know how good you are. I think it'll work well for ya.................whatcha think?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Homer,
That would depend if your were some one important and since you are here with me I feel that would a bad investment. LOL

But thanks for the offer.

Shane
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Seriously, try some ads in the local paper, you might be surpirsed.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

In my past two years... Last year I did solely flyers not to many maybe 1k, Still had a f/t job and was f/t at school still...
It got me going for the first season paid the equip and all.. This season I didnt' even advertise till aug.. which is when i put a add in the local classifieds paper with all the big guys in town... I happen to be right in the middle of the page... I think that gives me an advantage.. Nearly doubled my business since that point..Of course the add costs 2.5k a year... I don't think I even scraped the tip of the ice berg of biz yet...
I'd have to say get some magnets or letter the truck.This depending if your goign to keep it. Then get some lawn signs maybe 25 or so and do good work, I find these work well...
Then do some flyers, Before you drop some serious dough on marketing establish a name for yourself. This way when people look for ads they'll be like yea i've seen a lawn these guys do....Be much more effective then just putting a ad without anybody know who the hec you are. 50 is an ambious number getting 50 high quality customers in one season when your starting will be awsume.. Good luck bud...
Also see if you can put a flyer in the local paper... I can get 5k out for 300 bones...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

IMO, 1500 will be cutting it close for "advertising". You'll probablly need more than that. The expected return rate (from what I've heard on this site and others) for flyers/direct mailing is around 1%. That means for every thousand expect around 10 calls from it. Assuming you land all the phone calls as jobs that means for 30 cleints you will need at an absolute minimum 3000 flyers, doorhangers, whatever. Assuming around $.30 for a color copy that's 900 bucks. If you wanted to throw stamps on there that's another 1000. There goes your 1500. Goes awfully fast for absolutely no gaurantees...
Old 02-09-2005, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would just get as many flyers together as possible. That will be your cheapest route to hit a lot of people with your name. Check the local paper, that will work well as well. Be sure to network. Get business cards made up and give them to everyone you talk to during your days, the more people that know your out there the better.

If inerested in black and white copies....Let me know, I can get them really cheap.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check with email addy i put in my signature, they can give you great deals on magnets, yard signs, and all that good stuff.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Whats the rate for black and white copies? Anyone know off the top of their head?
Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The landscaper
Whats the rate for black and white copies? Anyone know off the top of their head?

White or colored paper at Office Depot .02 ea

A friend of mine has a trophy wifeÖÖ..apparently she wasnít 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...