Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-10-2005, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

It's Go Time

Hi guys,

I have been Landscaping and mowing residential for 6 years now. Now I want to get into commercial accounts. When is the best time to start bidding on commercial accounts ? When do you pick most of yours up? It's not to late for me is it?

Thank you,
- Eric
Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We bid most of ours in August / September for the following year. This is due to seasonal things like snow plowing etc.
VOTED #1 in Snow Plowing Service
Complaint FREE Award Winner Lawn Care & Landscape
Old 02-10-2005, 01:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Networking, networking, networking.

For commercials I'm a firm believer in "it's not what you know its WHO you know" Talk to relatives, friends, co-workers, whatever. Have them drop your name or get you a POC for the commercial establishment. Just my two cents.
Old 02-10-2005, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grass Busters Inc.
Hi guys,

I have been Landscaping and mowing residential for 6 years now. Now I want to get into commercial accounts. When is the best time to start bidding on commercial accounts ? When do you pick most of yours up? It's not to late for me is it?

Thank you,
- Eric
It's really never too late. There's always someone out there that may not be real happy with their existing service. Best approach I've found here is just knocking on doors and talking to the decision maker if possible. (works best for me here, other areas may differ) I find out if they have any concerns, then discuss what we do, this year I'll show some pics of our accounts (with permission of course), ask if they'd like a quote/bid and leave a magnetic business card. Last year was my first year in this business (part time for now) and all but one of my customers ended being commercial.

You've been doing this longer then I have so you should have some pretty good success. Also, like a guy mentioned above, talk to people you know. Ask your friends, family, or neighbors as maybe their employer needs a service, maybe they know someone opening a new business, maybe they know someone that knows someone that needs service. Most of my business came from referrals, so ask some of your residential folks if their place of employment is looking for someone. Good luck!

Buck