LawnSite Bronze Member

New site

http://www.pest-weed-free.com/

99% done

Is it OK or what ?

Any help is nice .
Old 02-11-2005, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice. Great job. I was confused by the 40% off and 1st treatment free statement. Surley it is not 40% off for the whole year?

I would not list the chemicals that you use.

I would replace kill with control

Very nice site.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the advice , what you suggested is done , still , I see more changes are needed .
Old 02-16-2005, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody has anything to say?
Comments , please .
Old 02-16-2005, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

is this a newly-built site or one you've had for a few years? did you build it, a friend, or an outside company? anwers to these go a long way in how i would critique it.

it looks fine on my 1400x1050, but what about at the 800x600 resolution that 40+% of the population uses? the buttons are pretty darn large.

it looks like your main page has a link to some form of fly swatting game? why have that on your first page and invite someone to immediately head off to play some game?

some of the images don't fit the look of the site, such as the very out of date looking guy pushing the cart, the about us people, and the contact us balloon.

from a marketing standpoint, your meta tags could really use a re-working, and more importantly, your page titles need more descriptive info as that's the hidden key to search engines.

check for typos. i recall seeing "per cent", as opposed to "percent".

tony
Old 02-16-2005, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you , Tony.
It's new and ,I guess , 99 percent done.
I am making some changes because of you .
Later
Old 02-16-2005, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tony , here is my friends response , read if you want to .
I will be making changes thanks to you .

it looks fine on my 1400x1050, but what about at the 800x600 resolution that 40+% of the population uses? the buttons are pretty darn large.

That's true. The site was built to look "right" at higher resolutions than 800 x 600, because roughly 60 per cent of users use higher resolutions than 800 x 600. If the site were written for low-res, things would look very small at high-res. So it's basically a compromise.

As an aside. I have noticed from my work as a computer tech that most people who use 800 x 600 choose that resolution because their vision isn't very good. So I no longer worry very much about things looking "big" at 800 x 600. That exactly what most people who choose that resolution want -- for things to look big. And as for those with older computers that can only handle 800 x 600, well, they're used to things being big.

But if most people in your area use lower res (or if you just want smaller buttons), then I can make smaller buttons. It's not that big a deal.

it looks like your main page has a link to some form of fly swatting game? why have that on your first page and invite someone to immediately head off to play some game?

I completely and wholeheartedly agree. That's why I was hoping you would forget about the flyswatter. Like I said, the site's not there to entertain people. But you insisted, and you own the site.... but I would be more than happy to remove that link upon your say-so.

some of the images don't fit the look of the site, such as the very out of date looking guy pushing the cart, the about us people, and the contact us balloon.

That's a matter of personal preference. Some people like iconics on sites, others don't. The images can easily be replaced with others, if you like, as long as they are legal. Takes only minutes.

from a marketing standpoint, your meta tags could really use a re-working, and more importantly, your page titles need more descriptive info as that's the hidden key to search engines.

Meta tags are a mixed bag. Used carelessly, they can hurt more than help.

I suggest you read http://searchenginewatch.com/webmast...le.php/2167931, which may help you understand the following better.

The keyword meta tags won't help your listing in search engines very much, if at all. Most search engines either ignore them, or only use them to penalize the site. In other words, having keywords won't improve the listing in any way; but if a keyword appears that can't be found in the page content (or appears repeatedly), it will cause a penalty for "search engine spamming."

The description meta tag is also ignored by most search engines, and used only partially by others. Those that use it at all typically use only a fixed number of characters (such as, for example, the first 64 or 128), and either ignore the rest or apply the same sort of analysis that is applied to keywords. What this means, in a nutshell, is that like keywords, the description meta tag is as likely to hurt you as to help you unless you're very careful with it. It also means that it should be kept as short as possible to avoid being truncated in those search engines that do use it.

As for the page titles, Tony is correct. They are important. They should be as short as possible and most closely match the search terms that people are likely to use in looking for a product or service.

If "Verde Valley" is how people out by you commonly identify where they live, and if they would likely enter, for example, "pest control verde valley" into a search engine if they were looking for pest control, then the page titles are fine. However, if they would likely search in another way, then they should be changed.

Where I live, if I were looking for, say, a plumber, I would search for "plumber queens," or possibly "plumber middle village." But if I were looking for a plumber where I used to live for a while (a rural area in central New York state), I would search for "plumber schoharie county," because that's how people there tended to identify their whereabouts -- by county, not by individual towns.

I have no way of knowing how people where you are tend to identify where they live, nor how they are most likely to search for your services. Normally I guess at first, and then look at the site stats after the site's been up for a month or so to ascertain the relative popularity of search terms. Then I tweak things accordingly. But if you already have some idea how people would likely search for your services (or if you ask around and get some sort of consensus), then just let me know. Takes less than a minute to change a page title.

check for typos. i recall seeing "per cent", as opposed to "percent".

Either is correct. It depends on which style manual you use:
"Percent" or "per cent" are always used with a specific
number. "Percentage" is always used with a descriptive
term such as large or small.

Example:

He received 45 percent [or per cent] of the votes, a small
percentage of the total.
Old 02-17-2005, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i'll refrain from the more subjective issues of overall design because that's always an exercise in bashing one's head into a wall and "designers" get their feathers ruffled easily. preference isn't the entire issue, though. the icon graphics don't fit the look/feel/style of the site. it's really quite objective from a design standpoint. retro clothing is fashionable, but i've yet to find an occurence where retro web design is. when i was the lead for the chrysler, mercedes, and dodge sites, the majority based in silver colors, the other in red, wouldn't it look a bit awkward to drop a pink plymouth reliant onto the page?

my english minor and common sense tells me that "per cent" is outdated and thus looks like an incorrect spelling. if we're going to quote style manuals, you might as well go to the more formal, and root, being "per centum". as an example, "forte" should actually be pronounced "fort" (not "fortay"), but if you pronounced it that way, 99% of the population would look at you like you're insanely illiterate. god, who doesn't love a good usage argument...

had i known you would directly copy him on my post, i would have further explained the meta tags issue, which is inappropriate for this thread as you may or may not pay that guy to do your work. i didn't say to go nuts with them, i meant rework them as they currently exist. this is why i asked if you paid for the site or had someone you know do it. if you paid the guy as a web designer/developer, i'd have an entirely different view of the product that he provided you. if it's a friend doing you a favor, i think it's top-notch.

regarding the screen resolution, look at your target demographics to decide best how your site is designed. i assume he took you through that process in the design phase, but is your target the younger, techy set, or is it the over 50 retiree-types? that's where your resolution should come from.

lemme know down the road how the marketing side is working out for you. all-in-all, i hate going too much into design because my background is different that an lco doing his own site, or any of the gazillion "web designers" part-timing it out there. unless the site is a trainwreck, my web help in this forum is edging more towards the actual marketing of the site and less on the subjective side of things (if you want to call it subjective). ironically, when i've simply posted "got a marketing plan for it or is it just for people to see based on the link on your biz card?", i receive no responses whatsoever. people are missing out on how their site should work for them.

cheers.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My friend used to be in the pset control business so he's familuar with it.
He's in NY and I'm in Az , we've talked by phone twice .
Now days , all he does is 'puter work .
He's done only a few sites . I paid $500.00 for this .
I like it because it's simple .
Others at IPCO.org , a message board of pest control people , who post their web site are a lot fancier , but polluted with stuff every where .
Mine is easy to navigate , I thin.
It's only used for a online brochure via my business cards and truck and invoices to my clients .
In my area , no one is gonna look to the net for a local pest control company when they can find ALL of them in the phone book .

Of course I didn't share this with each of you to upset any one but to just see what y'all had to write about.
I mean , no malice intented .
I hope you know that.

Now that you know it's gonna be just a brochure , it's OK?
As stated before , I am making changes .
Paul.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

yep, i think it's perfect for what you're doing, and the navigation is very easy which is always a great help.

i should have pressed you a bit more about who did the site for you, cost if any, and what their experience level is. i've seen countless instances where people here, or in my "real world", have some unknown solicit them to build a site or put them in touch with "my guy", who often is his secretary neice adept at building a site in microsoft word, filling it with clip art, and hitting "convert to html". call it the "curse of microsoft frontpage", which can often be like the new lco showing up on lawnsite and saying, "hey, i just bought me some new weed killer and applied for my quickie, no-education required applicators license, how much should i use???" posts.

definitely follow is advice on the page title text and read up on the link he sent you. that site is as close to the gold standard for web marketing as you can get. you'll find that if optimized for the search engines, and market correctly, your site can bring you the greatest ROI of any marketing tools, at least outside of flyers. flyers seems to be the panacea for lco marketing.

cheers.