Register free!

Old 02-11-2005, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another customer who seems to know "our" business

i have a customer who seems to think that we need to remove the old mulch from the beds before installing the new mulch. i tried to explain a) we've never had that request before, and B) that is not nec. he wanted no part of that " im not sure who taught you how to mulch, but". I can see the craps gonna start already, and its still feb. have fun, Tony
Old 02-11-2005, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Member

hey , do whatever he wants, and charge accordingly! rather than a simple rather inexpensive job it will cost 5x as much and it is going in your pocket! have fun!
Old 02-11-2005, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i LOVE THOSE KINDA CUSTOMERS HIS IGNORANCE MEANS LOT MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET GO GET HIM MAKE HIM PAY DEARLY
Old 02-11-2005, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just got off the phone with the guy now claims that they dont need mulch this year, im probably better off not doing this job. a simple 5 yard mulch job and should take about a hour and a half with the bed edging will turn into one of those nightmare jobs, i think ill count my blessing. tony
Old 02-11-2005, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just finished throwing 15 yards of Cypress mulch today. My butt is dragging right now, but I turned some nice revenue on the job. I know what you mean about know it all customers. When it looks like the customer is going to try and tell me how to do the job...I double the bid price. If they say they want to help with the job...I triple the bid price.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry guys...shoot me...but I have a customer that every other year we've been taking the old mulch out of the front beds and moving it to another place in the back yard. In fact, this spring we are due to move it again. I just don't see the big deal.?.?.?.

I charge him extra for it. He doesn't complain about the charge. I get more money. He gets what he wants. We're both happy. What's the problem...why not just do it?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

the only problem is that you're cancelling out one of the main reasons to use mulch in the first place. the mulch decomposes and adds organic material to the area. by removing it, you are removing 1/2 the reason for the mulch in the first place.

if that's whay THEY want, then no problem. BUT if YOU are the one recommending it, then it's not good management practice.

i had a residental customer (15o bales 2X/year) that had me remove the old straw every 2-3 years. her reason was that she hated any kind of raised bed, and wanted to keep her beds "flat". I explained the benefits of the decomposed material, and she agreed, but wanted it removed, so we did.
bobcat T200
way too much other crap
Old 02-17-2005, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

More on the reason the mulch is there in the first place

I'm no expert on the microbiology side of things, but when mulch gets placed around certain plant, or soil for that matter, microbial life and things like nematodes specific to the plants that are in that particular area begin to develop and provide those plants with the nutrients and defence mechanisms required for optimal health.

By moving the mulch that has been down for one year or more already, you are also moving all the beneficial microbial activity to an area it is perhaps not required.

I do realize that it is great for our revenues to just do what we are asked, however I like to think of the industry as a whole...

=) Reuben
Old 02-17-2005, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with removing it is not the best thing. However, if you explain it to the customer and they still say no...I just say okay. Kind of like the customer is always right. You can only try and convince so much.

Sorry, I'm not risking loosing an account over me not wanting to move old mulch to the back hedgerow.
Old 02-17-2005, 02:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LB1234
Kind of like the customer is always right. You can only try and convince so much.
Sorry, I'm not risking loosing an account over me not wanting to move old mulch to the back hedgerow.

Since I don't believe in that saying (the customers always right), I wouldn't do the job. Why? Because I don't have much patience for stupid people.

If they're making that goofy of a request now, they're going to be trouble down the road.
I'd rather pick up another customer that has some common sense.

This is along the same lines as to why I don't bag grass, why I don't cut grass super short, why I'm not going to pile mulch a foot high around the base of a tree, etc.
I know what's best for their lawn. If they can't understand that, then I don't want them as a customer.