Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2005, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my openion under construction should be taken out. Mabye use something like more to come soon. Under construction is over used and just dose not seem very proffesional.
Old 02-13-2005, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Since you did not have one before I think its 100% better. Any time or way that you can get your name in front of potential customers your improving your chances of signing them up. Simple is better I don't know anyone that spends that much time critiquing an lco web site before they pick up the phone and call, if they don't call it won't be because you did not spend thousands having your site professionally designed. Customers know that if you spend money on a professional site with many pages that you have to make that money back some how and its usually through higher rates. JMO

Mac
Old 02-14-2005, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

- you obviously want your logo front and center, often to the detriment of the surrounding content as it's overwhelming, but the quality of the image is poor. it's a gif, which is the best for flat color images, but it looks like it may have been in a .jpg format prior to being a gif. is this a correct assumption? the file size of close to 20k for that should be crystal clear, which it is not. it could probably be around 12k and still be perfect.

- the use of the huge logo gets too repetitive and detracts from the content, even to the point of not recognizing i've switched pages.

- lose the "under construction". there's only one worse error one could have and that is using applets.

- you might try a manual, scripted slide-show and lose the applet. you'll lose a segment of the population that have their security set to not allow them.

- your contact form is launching as another browser window and attempts to save the file on my computer. if i manually go to the page, i receive a dead link. it seems you have the form in your root directory which is probably not, and should not be, set to scripting.

- a site built for the 1024x768 audience is a bad choice. 40+% of the population runs 800x600, so take for example your logo, on 8x6, it looks like king kong and blows away the visitor.

- i have a website or two.

tony
Old 02-14-2005, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a question for ya about your payment plans.

You state that monthly services are invoiced and are due 5 days after reciept. OK, so how would you know when a customer recieved a bill? If you were billing me and I wanted to put payment off for a few days I could simply tell you when you called me that it hadn't arrived yet and as soon as it does I will send you payment.

I think you need to decide on a certain day of the month that the payments are due rather than the way you are doing it now.

Does your credit card company allow you to pay that way? No...they have a set date that payment must be recieved by.

Think about it.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Tweek

Everyone that builds sites for the first time it takes some tweeking and learning one easy place to go get free software is go to house hold names like yahoo.
For ease of use you can't beat their site builder 2.1. That said say you have 5000 cards or flyers to put on doors and you see Bills lawn service card on the door also . The homeowner says Who in the HEll is BILL? If the site never gives you anything more than a reference point it will pay for its self. We're still tweeking on our site BUT BY GOD WE CAN TWEEK THATS WHATS IMPORTANT.I'm sure one of these code spitting gurus could chew my site up and spit it out. Who cares I live in the land of milk and honey called the DFW metroplex.

Good Luck

http://www.wellkeptlawn.com
Old 02-19-2005, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WKLGreen- thanks, I do need some tweaking but that will come.

merlin- when I send my invoices, I'm pretty certain they will get there in 1 day, 2 at the most so I expect to be paid 6-7 days after I mail them out. That doesn't always happen ,but that is the plan. I get bills in the mail that say "due upon receipt" ,not sure why that is a problem. I thought about putting a specific date but then if I don't get the invoices out on time it doesn't give the customer enough time to get it back in. So basically I think that is a minor problem, have not really had a problem getting paid.
btw - "scheduling" is spelled wrong on your site.
Old 02-20-2005, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything has a beginning, even a website. I am sure yours will evolve into what will help capture your market. I consider our site a work-in-progess, WIP,
I try to tweak it here-and-there about every quarter.
Good luck.

Peace,

Rex

PaversInstalled.Com
Old 08-28-2006, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bump I got another one for ya.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey man, site is coming allong great!
I would be a little more careful on the install end. I do 1/3 down, 1/3 the day we start and 1/3 the day we finish. Most customers will find that fair. I guess on little jobs 50/50 is fine but when you get into the 25k plus jobs you have a lot in material and labor to cover. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

l really don't understand why the continued bumps of obsolete threads, I doubt the original poster sees them, but anyhow; as for the original site that started the thread:

I won't take pages telling you everything that's wrong...I just noticed you have hired someone who claims to be a professional designer. I hope he:
  1. has just started on it and has a long way to go
  2. is a friend doing it free
  3. charged next to nothing if that's the finished site.
I thought it was still a do-it-yourself deal and was going to list a bunch of tips like usual, but if he's getting paid it's his job to do MUCH better than that...but I looked at his page and it's very basic and built with years-old software so...