Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-12-2005, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

put price on flyers or not?

Im trying to put together a new flyer for this upcomming season and was wondering If for example I put (0 to 5000sqft $20.00) in other words list my prices for mowing. OR is this is a better way of attracting more clients than just saying "best prices around or afforadable rates". Im trying to go from 28 to around 50 to 60 weekly mowing clients a week and am having some problems trying to put together a "eye catching" flyer to get the calls rolling in? Yes I do intend to low ball a little to get the calls in for mowing but my mulch and other service prices have gone up some from last year. SO, my question still stands is it better to list prices or just use a "afforadable rates" phrase. Tell me what yall think?
Old 02-12-2005, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

I think your idea of lowballing is the reason that all nthe summer work has pathetic rates. All the guys looking to expand ie. lowballing)end up hurting the guy trying to run a profitable above board business.Do the job right and charge a FAIR rate!
Old 02-12-2005, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if your lowballin, you might as well let the customer know about it, so you should probably put the price on it.

Maybe instead of actually lowballin, you might want to just put lowball prices on your fliers, then at the bottom of the flier put, "prices vary" then you could charge accordingly.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldnt put the price on there. What happens you get someone that has a slughtly larger yard than what your flier says? What he will do is ask for the flier price and you might give in and say yes, just so you can grow your business this summer.
Then half way through the summer you will be kicking yourself in the head wishing you didnt lowball the price or stood up to him and say "no it needs to be more for the size yard you have".
All our lowballers here put the price on the fliers.
I just took a flier off a door at my customers house this week and its said.
"Full service lawns 50.00 a month"
What does full service here mean? mow, trim, edge, blow, maintain weeds, shrubs, palms and trees. We do this every week.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

5,000 sq ft is less than 1/8 acre

$20 in my area it is resonable rate for a 1/8 acre lot

1/4 acre averages $30
Old 02-12-2005, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I think that if in your area you are handing these fliers out, if 90% of the propsective clients have similiar lot sizes, then it will not hurt for you to have your prices on them. However it should include exactly what the service is for, and also that prices could vary. (just protects yourself). Also, give them some type of incentive for signing up. I personally think it takes the guess work out of the customer, its almost like you already gave them an estimate. No need to go back out for another estimate, can save you time, which is money.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

KBbetters you have hit the nail on the head, and yes I will include "prices vary" on my flyer. Im really trying to stay in 3 specific areas not more than 3 to 5 miles away from my house that way my travel time is next to nill. I also am trying for multi houses in a row, that way I only have to unload a few times a day. As for the prices around my area they vary quit a bit and a 5000sqft yard if I had anouther yard close I would do it for a little cheaper.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusmowin
As for the prices around my area they vary quit a bit and a 5000sqft yard if I had anouther yard close I would do it for a little cheaper.
Why? What if you lose the regular priced lawn, then you're stuck with the lower priced lawn. You're not thinking down the line.

And why lowball to get work? Just give the price that you think the work is worth. If anything, just put out more flyers.

If this is just a little side hobby that you're doing for kicks, then lowball all you want. But if you're serious about owning a successful business and expect to be in this for the long haul, then I think you'll be making a grave mistake!

Think about it! Why take on 50-60 lawns at a lower price, when you can do 40-45 at a higher price? Take in the same amount of money, but do a LOT less work.
Work smarter, not harder.
The lowballing thing to get a ton of customers just makes no sense to me.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

5000sq ft = $50 minimum ($20 bucks) I wouldnt edge that property for 20
Old 02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I wouldn't put a price on there unless you have walked the property and KNOW that is what you can do it for. I have a 5000 sq ft lawn that takes me just as long as a 15,000 sq ft lawn.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci