Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-13-2005, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Question for mailing out advertising

If you do flyers for mailing, then i take it you use envelopes. But if you've mailed out postcards, do you put them in an envelope or do you just put the address on the post card it self. If so what do you use to put the address on, do you print it on or have the little stickers that you put on them?
Old 02-14-2005, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to use the search function using "direct" and "mail" as search terms. You'll find a lot of information that way.

If you're mailing postcard-sized items, no envelope is needed. Envelopes cost more in postage.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Lawns & Landcare
If you do flyers for mailing, then i take it you use envelopes. But if you've mailed out postcards, do you put them in an envelope or do you just put the address on the post card it self. If so what do you use to put the address on, do you print it on or have the little stickers that you put on them?
IMO, the envelope just adds cost and garbage. Cheaper way to go is have labels placed on. I'm doing flyers first time this year. Will be going out by the end of this week...and no I do not have envelopes. Hope in your vehicle and take a walk down to your local postoffice. Give them a sample of your flyer (or just bring a piece of paper) and ask them if how you are going to fold it will work. they will tell you where you need to put tabs, place return addresses, etc. My advice would then to fold a sample flyer and drop in post office to mail to yourself. See what condition it comes to you in or if it even gets to you at all.

Like guy said above...search.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldn't use envelopes for a postcard for the reason of cost and more importantly, you've taken capturing the attention of someone immediately, to hoping they actually open the piece of junkmail. this is also the reason that you should have them professionally designed so that they stand out. i use the front side of mine to capture the attention, typically through the use of a humorous photo and lead-in message. my goal is to get it hanging on someone's fridge because it's funny, which creates sticky'ness for my brand.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok I have spent quite a bit of time searching and still no results on what i am looking for. Lets say you are doing post cards, do you do one side print and the pther side blank so you can print the address on the blank side. Or do you print both sides, now the question i have with the printing on both sides is, where do you put the address? Right over your print, and you mean to tell me that your supposed to make 10,000 little individual sticky lables for all those.

Or does the mailing company do all that stuff. Im really confused on wether to get one sided or double?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

instead of searching on here, head to your mailbox and take a look at any postcard you've received. you can cover 80% or so (give or take) of the back with info, leaving enough room for the stamp and address info.

hit 48hourprint.com, order their sample pack, and you can get a feel for the printing area that way.

the address application is a bit more complicated and depends on how you arrived at those addresses. you can go through companies that will handle the addressing based on zip+4 or whatever other method of targeting you want, as well as postage. you can also do them on your own if you can handle that.

btw, do you actually plan on a 10k mailing or was that a "for example" number?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was considering ordering 10,000 just so i dont have to order again for a while.
I will order 10,000 and probably mail out 500 a month to selective address's, then hand deleiver about 200 a month, then namelessly have 1000 or so every other month delivered with the sunday paper. Sound good?
Old 02-14-2005, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Lawns & Landcare
I was considering ordering 10,000 just so i dont have to order again for a while.
I will order 10,000 and probably mail out 500 a month to selective address's, then hand deleiver about 200 a month, then namelessly have 1000 or so every other month delivered with the sunday paper. Sound good?
Why not order enough to do two mailings. If its found they are effective than order your 10,000 minus what you did. Otherwise, if you find that they aren't working then you don't have so many thousand left over.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ehh, What the heck now that i think about it I might just mail out all 10,000. They say the rate of call back is 1% so i figure i'll get 100 calls. Then out of those 100 calls i might be able to get maybe half as high quality customers. So 50 customers for $835, for the cost of printing and mailing. Not including the mailing list. Am i crazy or what?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you're crazy...

i'll retract that if you can explain how you can send postcards, all-inclusive, for 8.4 cents per.