Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2005, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Question for you experts.............

My neighbor and I are debating whether or not to aerate our lawns right now because we're anticipating some irrigation problems come summer time given our poor snow fall this year. Our lawns are two years old and we have pretty compact soil. I was going to wait until this fall to do it, but if we're not going to have as much water available to us this summer I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do this now.

Thanks!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Won't hurt, but your best results are fall and spring. But I don't know what your weather is there.

Mac
Old 02-14-2005, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm by no means an expert, but I'm thinking if the soil is compacted you can
aerate anytime during the year, the sooner the better.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WHY and HOW have you determined that your soil is that compacted that you need to aereate it?

RARELY do lawns need to be aerated!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyWebb
My neighbor and I are debating whether or not to aerate our lawns right now because we're anticipating some irrigation problems come summer time given our poor snow fall this year. Our lawns are two years old and we have pretty compact soil. I was going to wait until this fall to do it, but if we're not going to have as much water available to us this summer I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do this now.

Thanks!
you need to track down five diamond lawns, hes from your area and knows all about the soil conditions, 1st guy i've ever heard of that aerates 6mos. of the year.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Al
WHY and HOW have you determined that your soil is that compacted that you need to aereate it?

RARELY do lawns need to be aerated!
He's not in Florida. He is in the Pacific northwest where it rains all the time and the sun rarely shines. soil is really different up there. aeration is not a option its a necessity.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't know what your ground conditions are like where your at, but if the ground is firm and dry it would be ok. Here in Illinois it is so wet and soupy you can't even hardly walk across the lawn right now.

Ideally, I agree the fall would be the best time to aerate, but you can also aerate in the spring time as well. Some people aerate once a year, while others believe twice a year is better. My opinion is at least once a year, your yard should be aerated. Twice is even better, if you can afford to.

My .02 on not needing to aerate. I believe it's like fertilizing. I've been asked do you really need to fertilize 4 times a year. I know people who never fertilize or aerate and they grow grass...and weeds The more you do your lawn the better turf grass you can produce. Now before someone bashes me on that statement, there is a point where you can actually do to much and harm the lawn as well. There has to be a good balance.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do it now, then in six months, then every six months
Old 02-15-2005, 01:14 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

TyWebb,
We are practically neighbors. What part of Richland are you in ? I am expanding up your way this year and I was just there this weekend. Are you in the real sandy soil? I don't personaly think out in the desert areas like we are in that you can hurt anything by aerating this time of year. If I were you I would do it the end of February or first of March, you can go ahead and fertilize the same time to give your lawn a good jump on spring growth. Hey if you would like PM me and when I am up there next I would be happy to stop by and take a look for you.

Good Luck, Scott
Old 02-15-2005, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know what the conditions are in your area but I can tell you a few things about aeration that should help.
Aeration should be done when the grass is actively growing. Aeration is a semi destructive process used to reduce compaction and allow the grass to increase its root production. It is beneficial in all soils however the more tightly packed clay soil types will benefit more as sandy soils are by nature lose.
Aeration promotes drying of the soil so it is not a good practice to do in the warmer summer months. By opening the cores and leaving them on top of the soil, the grass is allowed to spread out. The cores on top will decompose with time and the microbial action of the decomposing cores actually reduce thatch to a degree. The only reason I have found to pick up cores is if it interferes with your golf game. So, no I have never picked a core up on a customers lawn.
Spring dethatching is alright to do although some will state that there is an increased chance of weed proliferation in the lawn because of the increased weed seeds in the air at that time of the year. Fall aeration is also good as long as the grass is still growing to repair the injury of the aeration.
Make sure you are getting a good core of at least 2" and make sure there is at least a double pass made on the lawn. The lawn should be moist but not wet. I prefer it if my customer waters for about 20 minutes the night before aeration if it has been dry.
I would think that if it is not actively growing now then you are wasting your money on aeration. It will open holes but nothing will be accomplished by opening the holes. By the time the grasss starts to grow, the holes will be filled.
Your money and your choice but that is my opinion that you inquired about. Good Luck.