Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2005, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

printing vs copying: what's cheaper

This is an odd question, but I have to send about 50 letters out to last years customers. I have an Epson printer/scanner/copier. I was just wondering if it would be wiser to print all 50 letters; using up A LOT of that expensive color ink, or would it be better to make one copy, then use the copy function and do 49 color copies.

One wastes ink and one wastes toner. Both are expensive. Anyone ever think about this? What do you do? The cost of ink/toner is getting expensive which adds to the cost to do business (like gas).
Old 02-15-2005, 06:00 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Your'e right about the ink getting expensive. My friend's brother doesn't even buy ink anymore. He just buys another printer. I am guessing the cheaper $50 ones. Sounds like a big waste to toss a good printer each time, but really if you figure ito out, it's not all that far fetched. I bought 2 black and 2 color cartridges awhile back and it came to $130.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-15-2005, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking at buying a color laser printer. Dell has one for $449 (3000cn) actually the same printer on EBAY is $100 cheaper. I was going to get some color copies done for me but Staples wants $1.00 per page. At that rate I can buy the color laser and do them a lot cheaper myself. The toner for this thing is $185 for the color for 2000 pages. So if you do the math that's only .09 per page, add in the price of buying the printer and your still way ahead of the game. Sounds like the way to go for me. I see a color laser printer in my future.

2005 Ford F-350 4x4 V-10
Old 02-15-2005, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Computer shows (if in your area) are worth going to for CHEAP ink. I use to pay $10.00/cartridge color/bXw... doesn't matter.

If there aren't any computer shows around.... do some good internet searches... you can usually find comparable deals.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

be careful with the dell printers. they rely on proprietary ink cartridges, and although they are starting to roll into stores, they primarily need to be purchased through dell.

try using ink refill kits to save money. sam's club is one low-cost source for them, as well as just about anywhere else. there are also a couple of franchise chains that sell lower cost refills. i can't vouch for those as any larger scale run is sent off to the printers, or i just use my black laser printer to provide the text on my letterhead. if you can forecast it correctly, even in smaller runs, you are much better off going through one of the discount online printers (48hour or vista). the quality is supremely better, and it's usually more cost-effective than printing at home or having color copies made at the local office supply store.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
even in smaller runs, you are much better off going through one of the discount online printers (48hour or vista). the quality is supremely better, and it's usually more cost-effective than printing at home or having color copies made at the local office supply store.
Yes....your are correct. Somebody mentioned making color copies for .09 cents each, well that is better than the .75 cents each that Office Max charges, but you have to compare apples to apples there. 48 hour might charge .25 cents vs you .09 cents, but if you were going to print 5000 those 5000 is including the cost of the glossy paper and, more importantly, the time its going to take to load, print, unload and stack all those papers. Plus, at .09 cents per copy, I wonder exactly how much ink is involved. My flyers had very little space on them where there was not ink and they were full bleed (printing out to the edges of the paper). I am not sure if non-commercial printers can print full bleed. So you really need to take a look at the appliction before investing in that much money for a color printer.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Gosh, if I were to buy a big expensive lazer printer I'm going to change to: Lawn, Landscaping and Printing
Old 02-15-2005, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You guys do bring up really good points. As much printing as I (we) do, every little savings will add up. 10 cents here, a nickel there.......after a year it's going to really pay off