Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-15-2005, 02:59 AM
LawnSite Member

alrighty, grass gobbler or accelerator???

I'm buying a exmark turf tracer hp 36" mower, and need a catcher. The accelerator is only $50-100 more than the grass gobbler, please tell me why I should buy the accelerator.
One reason I can see would be the rust issue. aluminum doesn't rust last time I checked. Durability? capacity? ease of use? price?
any info would be appreciated.
thanks jon
Old 02-15-2005, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had my grass gobbler for the past season and it saw a lot of use and therer is no rust. I keep my equipment clean and stored dry though. The reason I went with the gobbler is that it is steel. I know how to weld so if something broke I can easily fix it. I only weld steel cause I use a flux-core welder.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Sponsor

Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general search in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

2) Better handle design (important on something you are lifting all day!)

3) Rust free materials

4) Easy on-off pivoting back door (you don't have to remove the back door to empty the catcher- it just pivots open)

5) Excellent product support by our company

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

Harder to repair (we can help you here with repair materials and a rivit kit if you need it).

All in all I would say that the grass gobbler is a fine product made by an excellent company (Wright MFG). You just have to weigh the factors out for your own situation. Hopefully you will choose our catcher.

Peter Andonian, Lawnsite Sponsor
Accelerator Industries
http://www.AcceleratorIndustries.com
800-984-9410

Last edited by PeterA; 02-15-2005 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Accelerator is much better

I have both Steel Grass Goblers and Aluminum Accelerator catchers and I can tell you there is no comparison. The Accelarator weighs half as much and hold more clippings/ leaves. It save time and effort and is well worth the extra money.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As an owner of an Accelerator XL catcher, I can say that it is highly unlikely that you will need have one repaired. I have hit more than one unseen obstacle with mine that made my wb mower come to a dead stop. Small insignificant dent was the only damage. Accelerators are built for the long haul. Get yours and wave good-by to the competition.

Locutus is an uncompensated endorser of Accelerator products.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say get an Accelerator for many reasons including everything Peter said as well as the following.

1. You are in an area with a lot of rainfall and wet weather, you will need to clean whichever catcher you choose often and the Accelarator will not rust as a steel catcher will especially if you powerwash them.

2. They are build very well and will take more abuse than people think, I have dropped the one I have and not damaged it, I have had it bounce off the mower in the trailer because I did not tie it down and no damage, the one probelm I did have was a weld broke loose after the mower getting away in the trailer and smashed into the side of the trailer. This is a well built grass catcher not an aluminum can it can and will hold up.

3. Peter and his staff are the greatest if you ever do have a problem he will stand behind his product and do whatever he can to get the problem taken care of.

4. You would be supporting a Northwest Company!

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Turf Dancer; 02-15-2005 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Left something out
Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have a grass gobbler now, which works fine. But, I would be inclined to buy an accelerator next time, mainly for the aluminum weight reduction and no rust.

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 02-15-2005, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA
Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general serch in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

3) Rust free materials

4) Easy on-off pivoting back door (you don't have to remove the back door to empty the catcher- it just pivots open)

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

Harder to repair (we can help you here with repair materials and a rivit kit if you need it).

All in all I would say that the grass gobbler is a fine product made by an excellent company (Wright MFG). You just have to weigh the factors out for your own situation. Hopefully you will choose our catcher.
I don't use baggers, but I want to commend you on a first class post. Not only did you include drawbacks on your product, but you spoke highly of your competition. That shows you have class and believe in your product. If I ever find the need for a bagger for my 36" Toro I will defiantly give your product a try.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

well, you convinced me, when I buy the mower in the next couple weeks, I'll be picking up an accelerator.
thanks a lot. Jon Pynch
Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterA
Jon,
As the owner of Accelerator I am obviously biased, but you might want to do a general search in lawnsite (not just our forum) on Accelerator. There are quite a few posts. Here are a few advantages on our catcher:

1) lighter weight

3) Rust free materials

Drawbacks:

Higher cost

I would add to #5-Excellent product support by our company (WORLD CLASS COMPANY!)
You will not find better support from any other company in the industry!

I liked your post Peter! Especially the part with bold print!
Jeff