Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-15-2005, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

would you?

would you talk to the so called "scrubs" or lowballers? i know many people here started out part time just to make a little money as i did also. i've always tried to do a good job and make sure if i take something on i know how and what to do but it sure would have been nice if some of the other lco's would have set me straight on pricing. from the beginning i've always been open to suggestions or comments but a lot of the lco's in my town are jerks and they think they're the best thing to happen to planet earth, to good to talk to other lco's or even wave at each other,, ridiculous!! finally i've talked to a couple of them and shared opinions on dealers and so on but that's the minority.

i know there is a market for some of these guys and they're needed for some of are low income residents but now we have a few guys running around with all the proper equipment and so on that will go in and undercut by half!!! i just talked to a manager from a local parts store the other day and he told me the guy willingly priced the cut at $25 even after he knew the current rate was $50 for the property, i believe he told him upfront because he also told me over the winter before i gave him my price. lawn tractors and 21's are one thing but when you have guys driving around with a couple z's on their trailers pricing that low i think that's a whole different situation.. soooo would you approach these guys and carefully offer some advice or turn a blind eye?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turn a blind eye, honestly if they are doing that they are desperate... Despearte people are never in business long. Becasue when the time comes to hang in there they get out. Honestly, they are clues less about business.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billpa
would you talk to the so called "scrubs" or lowballers? i know many people here started out part time just to make a little money as i did also. i've always tried to do a good job and make sure if i take something on i know how and what to do but it sure would have been nice if some of the other lco's would have set me straight on pricing. from the beginning i've always been open to suggestions or comments but a lot of the lco's in my town are jerks and they think they're the best thing to happen to planet earth, to good to talk to other lco's or even wave at each other,, ridiculous!! finally i've talked to a couple of them and shared opinions on dealers and so on but that's the minority.

i know there is a market for some of these guys and they're needed for some of are low income residents but now we have a few guys running around with all the proper equipment and so on that will go in and undercut by half!!! i just talked to a manager from a local parts store the other day and he told me the guy willingly priced the cut at $25 even after he knew the current rate was $50 for the property, i believe he told him upfront because he also told me over the winter before i gave him my price. lawn tractors and 21's are one thing but when you have guys driving around with a couple z's on their trailers pricing that low i think that's a whole different situation.. soooo would you approach these guys and carefully offer some advice or turn a blind eye?

and the auto parts guy will get a huuried mow & go when they feel like it,
or can afford the gas for it. just wait till spring when gas hits 2.80 a gallon that 25 bucks aint hardly gonna cut it.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Hisch
Turn a blind eye, honestly if they are doing that they are desperate... Despearte people are never in business long. Becasue when the time comes to hang in there they get out. Honestly, they are clues less about business.
You’d think they’d give up but we have a few guys around here that have been in business for 10,15 and even up to 20 years and there still at it. I know some of them only charge $12.50 pr hour, these aren’t the guys with z’s as I imagine at those prices they wouldn’t make it far but I think at their current bids of about half they equal out to the $12pr hr guys after expense so I think as long as they’re so happy to only track what’s coming in and not out as well they could keep on going. I guess in most cases it’s nothing to worry about but it seems this town is going downhill fast and more and more of these guys come in and ruin the market and in a somewhat small town it worries me.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumper1620
and the auto parts guy will get a huuried mow & go when they feel like it,
or can afford the gas for it. just wait till spring when gas hits 2.80 a gallon that 25 bucks aint hardly gonna cut it.
yeah i'm waiting to see what kind of work these guys do
Old 02-15-2005, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i live in a small town out side Harrisburg there are a few big lawn guys and none of them under bid just to get the work and we all B/S when we see one another i even get my supplies from one of them and 10% off of them
Old 02-16-2005, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd's lawncare
i live in a small town out side Harrisburg there are a few big lawn guys and none of them under bid just to get the work and we all B/S when we see one another i even get my supplies from one of them and 10% off of them
i thinks that's the way it should be, i see posts on the board about helping out fellow lco's in certain situations such as medical problems and so on, i'd be all for it on both ends, hell just a friendly wave would also be ok