Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2005, 06:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You might want to start a thread in commercial lawn care titled "question for new zealand lawn care owners" or something like that, or in the network forum. The new zealand part might catch their eye, and they might be able to help you more. There are some members from over there.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Maxwells. In US dollars you are looking at $4283 for 90 accounts ($47.50 each). I would take a good look at this. The only concerns are if the clients will stay with you. I would imagine you will have at least a 10% drop rate. The best bet would be for you to take the owner around, have her introduce you and tell them that you will be helping her out, taking over the business, whatever. Set up a fixed price on the number that stay with you for the transition (3 mows, 6 mows whatever). Good luck
Old 02-20-2005, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Maxwells
In NZ a 30% drop off rate when buying a round would not be unusual. Watch for lots of little lawns that actually are uneconomic. Is the round compact or spread out. I find if I can do multiple lawns in the same area it really helps. As for price be prepared to pay for approx 8-10 cuts. (eg. If round grosses $1000/ cut then expect a price of $8-10000 not incl equipment.)

Have you looked at what advertising you could do for the same money.

Happy mowing
James
Old 02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

i guess this one is unusual it is a marrige break up and she just wants to get rid of it so it will be cheaper than normall - the down side is that no one is able to show me the round apart from the part time guy they have working with them hi is just keeping it going till they sell it , what time of the year do you slow down lawn mowing ? is it worth buying this round at this time of the year
Old 02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Maxwells
I suspect with this one you could be in for a steep learning curve without the previous owner to show you the round. As for the time of year it isn't the best as you are at the end of summer rather than the beginning. I'm still rushed off my feet & expect to be so till mid April. In saying that last year it was busy till the end of June. As the grass slows you may get some customers stretching out the cuts. Check with the owner because they generally do the same thing eah year.

I'm just Nth of Auckland
Where are you

Happy mowing
James
Old 02-20-2005, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi James

I am in Wellington / Coast area - yep it is a real hit and miss i have around 22 regulars i have built up over 4-6 weeks i do a lot of one of other stuff, i guess i see this as a way to boost numbers very quickly (but it could back fire ha ha ) i am going to see the owner in the next few days - what have been your best way of getting new accounts ? and hows winter do you keep busy ? Many Thanks Maxwells
Old 02-20-2005, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Maxwells
I have an add in the local directory. Works wonders. Apart from that its all word of mouth. Doing the rougher areas helps as well. With them you can really charge well because a lot of contractors won't touch them.

Winter depends on the weather. My problem is the clay soil that holds water. When that happens the only way to cut the grass is with a weedeater.
During summer I go for it & as the saying goes make hay while the sun shines. Domestic lawns are not as bad, normally go from 2 to 3 week cuts.

Happy mowing
James