Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2005, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
No machine or supplies needed, right?
Not exactly but minimual machines to carry. I use an old knuckle buster slide machine that stays in the truck, just place card, fill in the 3 part form and swipe it. When I get home I run them through the teminal. It also give me a "hard copy" of there card should I ever need it. For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable] There are many ppl that like to use it on some of the bigger jobs as it adds up on there airline pts. quickly. IMO its worth it to offer the service although I would not like to mess with it for $30 a crack for a mow, an install at 5k makes the trouble easier to bear

Mac
Old 02-17-2005, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olderthandirt
For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable]
Mac,

I didn't know you were a scrub!

Who are you using? Can you point me in their direction so I can check it out?

Thx

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 02-17-2005, 10:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
Mac,

I didn't know you were a scrub!

Who are you using? Can you point me in their direction so I can check it out?

Thx
What can I say Mark ? If they want to use a card on a 5-10k job I can negotiate the 2.25% down to 1.25% or even less if I have good enough reason.Thats just the way I, as a lowly scrub work always begging and negotiating for work.
Check out Lawn & Garden Dealers Associatin 1-800-752-5296 ask for Kirk
he can explain each step of the process, BTW tell him his price might be a little high and he usually lowers it and throws in some extras.

Mac
Old 02-17-2005, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Not exactly but minimual machines to carry. I use an old knuckle buster slide machine that stays in the truck, just place card, fill in the 3 part form and swipe it. When I get home I run them through the teminal. It also give me a "hard copy" of there card should I ever need it. For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable] There are many ppl that like to use it on some of the bigger jobs as it adds up on there airline pts. quickly. IMO its worth it to offer the service although I would not like to mess with it for $30 a crack for a mow, an install at 5k makes the trouble easier to bear

Mac
mac, when you say run it through at home, do you mean you have to call a company, or you swipe it through the digital one that runs through the phone line?
Old 02-17-2005, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the lead Mac. I'll give him a jingle.

BTW, don't be so hard on yourself -- at least you're a full time scrub

"Blue eyed boy meets a brown eyed girl.... oh oh oh the sweetest thing"
Old 02-17-2005, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Mac
Just so you know, "technically", you can't do that. It specifically states on the agreement that you will not charge your credit card customers extra. You are, however, allowed to give your cash customers a discount. Essentially, it is the same thing but you might want to work it a little different.

I just don't want you to loose your CC privileges.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 02-17-2005, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga
mac, when you say run it through at home, do you mean you have to call a company, or you swipe it through the digital one that runs through the phone line?
I do both Adam, if I used the knucle buster I dial in the cc # into the machine, if I made sale here and have the card in hand I can swipe it through. If its point of sale the rates are 1.57% instead of the 2.25% that needs to be dialed in.

Mac
Old 02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
"technically", you can't do that. It specifically states on the agreement that you will not charge your credit card customers extra.
True, but I'm not charging them "extra" i'm passing along the cost of doing business. Thats why I said I tell them about it before hand, they know exactly what it will cost them to use a cc or pay in cash. At that point its there decision. Same as all the store around here that have signs up saying that CC will be charged Xamount of $$$ for the privlage of using them.

Mac