Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-16-2005, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Changed business name!!

Decided to change the name of my business today, went to the county and got it all taken care of. Thought i could use a little more pizzaz in the name. I changed it from Eric's Lawn Care, to Picture Perfect Lawns. I wanted a name that really backed up my work. I want people to say -that is a PICTURE PERFECT LAWN, not a ERIC LAWN. The name just has a lot more "catch" to it. I have a lot of work ahead to change over business cards, send letters to customers, etc.

Does anyone possibly have a template they used to notify there clients about the name change?

And how about some logo ideas? Any clever ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Eric
Old 02-16-2005, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont send a letter.

You need to tell them yourself and assure them that you will be doing business as normal.

I went throught this last year and talked to all my customers and they were fine with it.

Good Luck

2002 Dodge 1500
(2) 2006 Dodge 1 Tons
(2) Exmark TT 52"
(2) Ferris 60"
Exmark Metro 36"
(2) Red Max EB 7001
(2) Red Max EB 8001
Shindawia String Trimmers
Shindawia Hedge Trimmers
Echo 17' pole pruner
Billy Goat Vac
Ryan Power Rake
(3)6.5' x 16' Dual Axle Trailer 10700 LBS.
6.5 x 12 Single Axle Trailer 3500 LBS.

Life is good
Old 02-16-2005, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Call or Visit

I have about 50 clients that i take care of on a weekly basis with many others that get occasional work done. Trying to stop by and personally telling them might be too much. A phone call would probably be sufficient? I sometimes wonder if people remember my personally or the business name. I still get many payments made out in my name. That is why i considered a letter, this way i can tell them when i will be starting and offer any extra spring services.

Thanks for the replies
Eric
Old 02-16-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

a phone call would suffice, but i'd also send everyone a letter to reinforce it, and for those people you can't reach. just a short paragraph explaining "same great service, same smiling faces, but a new name that better frames (pun intended) our work. and as a bonus, we've included not one, but two drops of retsin..."

nice name choice, btw.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I took the time to do it with over 200 customers.

Its a lot of time but I think that you will find that your customers will be more apt to feel at ease with this transformation if you just give it to them in person.

4 years and I have only lost 3 customers I might be doing something right.

just a thought.

2002 Dodge 1500
(2) 2006 Dodge 1 Tons
(2) Exmark TT 52"
(2) Ferris 60"
Exmark Metro 36"
(2) Red Max EB 7001
(2) Red Max EB 8001
Shindawia String Trimmers
Shindawia Hedge Trimmers
Echo 17' pole pruner
Billy Goat Vac
Ryan Power Rake
(3)6.5' x 16' Dual Axle Trailer 10700 LBS.
6.5 x 12 Single Axle Trailer 3500 LBS.

Life is good
Old 02-16-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the new name
Old 02-16-2005, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

How about some ideas for a logo?

I thought about the name with a picture frame kinda in the background.
What do you think?

Just throwing out some ideas

Eric
Old 02-17-2005, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I think a letter is all you need. When we changed our name we just sent letters. As long as you let them know in the letter that nothing else has changed then they won't care. I doubt they hired you because of your past name and a new name isn't going to matter to them at all. I would have the bank leave your old name open on the account just encase you get checks made out to the old name. If this happens you can then address each customer personally about the new name so they can make note of it. Some people don't read all their mail. I would also make sure your letter uses the old name as a header and as the return address so they know it is coming from you. Mention in the letter that all new correspondence will be addressed with the new company name. Make sure you add new business cards too. I included business card magnets for them to put on their refrigerator so the new name would be right in front of them.

Good luck with the new name. I like it and think it opens a lot of possibilities for a good logo.

I use Gopher Billing & Scheduling Software
Download your FREE fully functional 30-day
trial here.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VnDrWLawnCare
Thanks for the replies.

How about some ideas for a logo?

I thought about the name with a picture frame kinda in the background.
What do you think?

Just throwing out some ideas

Eric
For a logo, I used legalzoom.com/logo to design it for me. It was only $149, included 10 different designs to choose from then unlimited minor alterations/color changes/font changes etc.. 4 day turnaround (or less) for each new set. Then they provide the final design to you in about 15 different file formats. They did an awesome job - mine is in my avatar.

George
Old 02-17-2005, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Eric, the first thing i thought of when you posted the new name was how well it would lend itself to being the base for a great logo design. i've paid tons of money over the years for design work and i can honestly say that designoutpost is the best work i've seen, especially given the scrub-like prices. the designers are all pros and they do it for side money. hit the site, look at the logo forum, and subsequently the archives, and you'll see how it works. given the number of lcos they've done work for, most with a name that connotes lawn care, they'd probably love to have a different concept, the photography inference, to work from. $150 is the price i've seen that seems to be the most "fair" to entice more designers to submit pieces.

p.s. - i've never actually used the outpost, but would if needed. i do my own work, so until time doesn't allow me to work on that side of my business, i'll continue to do so.

keep us informed over in the "elements of business forum" (where this thread is more appropriate) on how the process is going or feedback on designs.

tony