Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

What is the life expectancy of an Exmark Lazer Z

Can anyone with experience with an Exmark Lazer Z tell me what the life expectancy would be on these machines? lets say a 1999-2002 model used commercially for example. What goes first and so on and at how many hours?
Old 02-17-2005, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I imagine the PTO you would have to replace at about 1,000 hours. I'm having to replace one at 850 hours, I got the machine used though, so I don't know how the people who owned it before me treated it.

A student taking a philosophy class had a single question on his final: "What is courage?" The student wrote: "This", signed it, and turned it in.

in Iraq, ever since the beginning of time, men have fought for, land, power, money, and greed. but what are we fighting for? .... we are fighting for something new, we are fighting, because it is the right thing to do.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I have over 1500 hours on a 60" Lazer Z with 23 hp Kohler, I bought this mower new in 2001....

Heres a list of parts replaced and the hours....

(1) PTO switch
(2) PTO Clutch 485 hours (little over 200 dollars)
(3) frount wheel bearings at 600 hours and again at 1450
(4) frount tires at 1450, should have replaced them much sooner
(5) key switch
(6) 2 sets of rollers
(7) deck to pto belt twice
(8) choke cable
(9) seat is totally tattered at 1500 hours

The Z is a good mower and and is holding up well the 23HP Kohler is starting to get a little weak on power, but since the mower itself is holding up so good I will buy a replacement engine when the Kohler gives up......
Old 02-17-2005, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Jackman,
That was very informative AND very interesting.
I'm surprised you didn't have any problems with the spindles, or did you just forget to mention it. Also the wheel motors have been trouble free for you as well?
Old 02-17-2005, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Commerial users can easily get 3000 hrs plus with proper up keep as far as your engine, some of the other parts may wear out and require replacement, I expect to get atleast 2500 hrs prior to repowering machine.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 2000 Toro Z-master w/ 1300 hours on it and have only replaced some tires and the blade belt. I just took it to the shop yesterday for its first hydro service.......... way overdue I plan on getting 2500 hours out of it and then replacing it.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M
Jackman,
That was very informative AND very interesting.
I'm surprised you didn't have any problems with the spindles, or did you just forget to mention it. Also the wheel motors have been trouble free for you as well?
BrianM,

Ive had zero problems with the hydrolics with the exception of the stabilizer links, they woreout twice (forgot to mention that in the first post) at 26 dollars a piece for a total of 4 bought I decided to run the mower 1/2 way thru last season with out them as Exmark has admited that the links are some what of a problem I will not to buy them again until they have an improved version. I also have had no spindle problems, however I did crack one when I forgot to lift the deck as I ran it up the trailer gate the deck bottomed out and hit the gate hinge which in turn cracked the spindle.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

My buddy has 2 Lazer Zs and has had to replace numberable parts like Jackman has (the list is almost the same) on both mowers including the spindles. My buddy's oldest Lazer has 1200 hours on it.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin
My buddy has 2 Lazer Zs and has had to replace numberable parts like Jackman has (the list is almost the same) on both mowers including the spindles. My buddy's oldest Lazer has 1200 hours on it.
Richard,

For what it,s worth to you I am not complaining about the Exmark Z in fact I am very satisfied with its performance especially the quailty cut.... I was disappointed with the PTO giving up with the low hours, I learned that it should be disengauged at low rpm's which is not what I was doing at the time oh well live and learn...... The stabilizers on the other hand are a bad engineering choice, they need to improve them and Exmark is aware of that...
All things consider my next mower will be an Exmark, its been good to me....