Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2005, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

What annoys/ inspires me

I m relatively new in this business( I m 19 and attend college) and expect to mow about 20-25 lawns a week this year. Thats not that big, but big enough for me to handle and a great way to pay for my college education. It annoys me when I tell people what I do or plan on doing for a living and see their reactions. A lot of times people cant believe I want to mow lawns( I see it as running a business) for the rest of my life. This is what inspires me to do well. Stuff like this happen to you guys? Let me hear from ya
Old 02-17-2005, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm 17 and a junior in high scool and I get this type of reaction from my parents . My mom always tells me you can't make any money doin that kind of stuff! Hm, funny thing is I make more money than she does.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, our society now worships status whereas in times gone by, we respected hard work. If you're going to do this, develop a thick hide because the biting gnats are everywhere.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i'm 19... been cuttin for 3 years and neighbors would make fun of me for not having a "real job". I don't live in the same neighborhood now, but last year I had accounts on 8 streets out of 9, expanded to other neighborhoods, and managed to buy a truck, trailer, and WB's. No more making fun of Mr. Ed
Old 02-17-2005, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is an old saying: "Do what you love and the money will come." When I was a kid mom TOLD me I should cut lawns. I am sorry it took so long to listen.

Parents encourage their kids to persue education and many times money. This is not all bad considering most teenagers have no clue what they want or like. If you are fortunate enough to KNOW what you want and are sure about it, you have the hard part of life taken care of.

I assume if your out mowing 20 or more lawns a week you know its real work. If your cool with that keep rolling. More education will never hurt and never worry about what others think.

Don't let others judge you by your occcupation. Let them judge you by how you act and how you treat others. It does not take genius to mow lawns, but to be knowlegable and a good business man applies to lawn work as well as rocket science.

-Paul
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 02-17-2005, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing this for quite a while now and even though I have an established business, I still get that kind of attitude. Dont worry over time you will stop caring about it. Be proud that you do hard work, that not alot of people are willing to do. Thomas edison wrote:

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Old 02-17-2005, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

It annoys me that peers where I work think that it is stupid that I work two jobs. My fulltime being a Paramedic and my other fulltime being a LCO. It annoys them when I tell them I make more mowing than being a Paramedic and wont hire them part time.