Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2005, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats the weirdest way u gained a customer?

Just got off the phone with a customer Ive done a lot of landscape jobs for. He owns a produce (eggs & frozen chicken) plant in my town and is considered a "big wig" here. Well he is building a another large refrigerator building to keep produce and he wants me to do all the landscaping there.
Now the weird part is how I met this guy. One morning about two years ago I was taking the kids to school in my big truck with trailer/tractor behind when I came to the stop sign next to his main plant. I had to turn right. Well rite next to the road was this elevated flower bed constructed of retaining wall block (suprised the town let him put it there, but he has some pull). Evedently when I turned right, the back of my trailer must have snagged the corner retaining wall block and pulled half of the bed down. I didnt hear or feel a thing so I didnt know it happened untill latter that evening when I returned home from work and my wife said the police were looking for me . I called him rite away and met him at the site of distruction. We both agreed that I fix it the next day and he would call off the cops, so I did and even installed two poles in concrete to protect bed from future incidenses. Well from that day on this guy really likes me and referes a bunch of people my way. He turned out to be a good customer
Anyone got a weirder one?
Old 02-18-2005, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Not really weird but I was called 2 yrs ago to give an estiamate to maintain a yard while the owner was recovering from surgery. I went over and met with him and his wife and they stated he would only be out for about a month. After chatting for about 15 min or so I advised him I could not gaurantee servicing his yard on the exact day every week due to my full time job. I advised him I was a firefighter/paramedic and my hours are 24 on 48 off. His eyes lit up as he stated he to was a retired captain for our neighboring cities FD. In ending, what was supposed to be a 1 month gig, he ended up signing me for the rest of the season and Im still maintaining his property to this day.
2005 52" Exmark LHP
All Echo hand tools
Old 02-18-2005, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just goes to show the impact impressions have. Your impression (whether good or bad) influences many many things in our lives, business & personal. Improve your impression, increase success. Thais the main reason Mcdonalds funds their Ronald mcdonald chairity program, it improves their public impression. Walmart funds & supports many chairities to improve their public impression and so on

Last edited by pjslawncare/landscap; 02-18-2005 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

My home phone # is one digit off from the business # of another LCO, so last year someone called for them. Told them they had the wrong number, BUT, of course I just happen to own a lawn business myself. So they asked me to do an estimate, and they signed up.

I used to get calls for this other LCO from time to time, havent got any lately, maybe they changed their number.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Allow me to post my Bobby impression of a post in this thread
Booby: "My weirdest customer sign up was this--I got a call from someone asking to come do an estimate, I told them no way I don't leave the house, it's $60 for your yard. They said that's $30 higher than the other guy, and I said good, that's how I run things around here. Tell ya what, if you ever call me again, it will be $65, and bother me after 5PM, and it's $70. They said well can you at least stop by next week, you do mow our next door neighbors you would only have to walk across the street. I told them fine, but if you say no to me and don't pay in Net 5 terms, I will punch you sqaure in the face, and they said I could have the job--that boys and girls if how I standardize the industry and don't let customers run my business"

Old 02-18-2005, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

damn right chevy, if cutting grass was a sport, they'd put my picture on a wheaties box! my weirdest one.......i was drinking at a local establishment, saw a yound lady walk in (she was 22 yrs old, i was 38, god bless america). i immediately began plotting...."hi, if you don't mind me saying, your fingernails are beautiful, where do you get them done?" her, (blushing) " i do them myself." me, " WOW, you're kidding, they look professional, you should open up a salon or something." 3 gin and tonics, she was screaming her creators name. now, to the point....i left her with a card, a few weeks later, she called because her mom needed A LAWNBOY. i'm still cutting it
Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Surgery

A guy from my church was having surgery so he asked me to mow for him for a few weeks. Turned out that he loved the job I did and I've been mowing it for 2 years. Also, I picked up six other lawns in the neighborhood just b/c they see the job I do on his lawn. thanks to his surgery, my business is booming!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

About 9 years ago, I was pumping fuel in my truck at a Hess station when a guy in a business suit approached me. He says to me, "is this your rig or do you work here?" I said "It's mine. Why do you ask?" He goes (and points to a brand new, large comm property across the highway) and says, "I need someone to mow our grass. You interested?" My reply was "I sure am."

Next thing I did was exchange business cards with him, finished fueling up, and drove over with him to check the place out. Still working there today too btw.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This old lady asked if i could cut her lawn because her lawn boy of 25 years had past away, she continued to say how she only payed 20 bucks for those 25 years,lol.I told her 30 , ... we went round and round and then she gave in cause i would give. It's bin 3 years and i haven't raised her prizes either.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygedd
damn right chevy, if cutting grass was a sport, they'd put my picture on a wheaties box! my weirdest one.......i was drinking at a local establishment, saw a yound lady walk in (she was 22 yrs old, i was 38, god bless america). i immediately began plotting...."hi, if you don't mind me saying, your fingernails are beautiful, where do you get them done?" her, (blushing) " i do them myself." me, " WOW, you're kidding, they look professional, you should open up a salon or something." 3 gin and tonics, she was screaming her creators name. now, to the point....i left her with a card, a few weeks later, she called because her mom needed A LAWNBOY. i'm still cutting it

LMAO "screaming her creators name"