Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Advertising

If anyone can help i was wondering when it would be a good time to start advertising. we still have snow on the ground and are suppose tp be getting a lot more. i dont want to get them out to early but yey not to late. i 800 fliers to get out think its rnough or do i need more, and paper add.

thanks Jeremy
Old 02-18-2005, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lawn
If anyone can help i was wondering when it would be a good time to start advertising. we still have snow on the ground and are suppose tp be getting a lot more. i dont want to get them out to early but yey not to late. i 800 fliers to get out think its rnough or do i need more, and paper add.

thanks Jeremy
Hey Jeremy,

You might want to re-evaluate whether you're looking at the head or the tail of the donkey.

When I look at a season, I decide on how many accounts I want to pick up. Assuming 1% of the homes I hit with flyers will sign up, I need to multiply the number of clients I want by 1,000 to get the number of fliers I have to distribute.

Two points about the content of a flyer:

1) Keep it brief. Don't bomb them with how wonderful you are or all the services you offer. Offer one or two services at most.

2) Include a call for action. If you give them a deadline to take advantage of a small discount ($25 is usually enough to do the trick), people might call. If all the flyer says is $25 dollars off for a full-year service agreement without giving a deadline to get the discount, many people will put the flyer someplace, forget about it, and discover it later...after they've signed on with someone else.

The $25 thing is just an example, by the way.

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Hey Jeremy,

You might want to re-evaluate whether you're looking at the head or the tail of the donkey.

When I look at a season, I decide on how many accounts I want to pick up. Assuming 1% of the homes I hit with flyers will sign up, I need to multiply the number of clients I want by 1,000 to get the number of fliers I have to distribute.

Two points about the content of a flyer:

1) Keep it brief. Don't bomb them with how wonderful you are or all the services you offer. Offer one or two services at most.

2) Include a call for action. If you give them a deadline to take advantage of a small discount ($25 is usually enough to do the trick), people might call. If all the flyer says is $25 dollars off for a full-year service agreement without giving a deadline to get the discount, many people will put the flyer someplace, forget about it, and discover it later...after they've signed on with someone else.

The $25 thing is just an example, by the way.

I agree with everything but #1. You want people to know you offer a wide variety of services. Thats the point of advertising. To get people to buy your service and make them believe you offer more then the next guy.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
I agree with everything but #1. You want people to know you offer a wide variety of services. Thats the point of advertising. To get people to buy your service and make them believe you offer more then the next guy.
Not if your principal motive is to generate phone calls. Long-winded messages get trashed in a hurry. He wants new clients. Unless he's offering a full suite of services and is not interested in anything other than full-service clients, he's better off stimulating a seasonal interest. Who cares in spring if he offers leaf removal? Nobody, that's who.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is what my flier looks like. Its a pdf you may have to scroll to the bottom of the page to see. Dose anyone have any tips on when to start advertising theres still snow on the ground and more to come I'm worried if i get the fliers out when there is snow on the ground people are just going to disregard the flier b/c of the snow factor.

Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Classicflier05.pdf (2.12 MB, 176 views)
Old 02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Not if your principal motive is to generate phone calls. Long-winded messages get trashed in a hurry. He wants new clients. Unless he's offering a full suite of services and is not interested in anything other than full-service clients, he's better off stimulating a seasonal interest. Who cares in spring if he offers leaf removal? Nobody, that's who.

Because thats what is called a spring cleanup. Customers want to know they can count on you for a full year of service and they wont have to be looking elsewhere in fall for somebody else. If you put all the services you offer on a flier or advertisement they wont have to take the time to call you and ask if you do something or worse yet not even bother to call you and call someone else. Who cares...the customer, thats who!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jeremy,

I like the look. It's clean despite having a long list of services. Not sure why it's only half a page, unless you're going with a flyer that's half a letter-size piece of paper. Overall, I like the look.

I still feel it needs a call for action, though. If you were to ask someone working for an ad agency, or a professor teaching advertising at the local university, they probably would tell you that a call for action boosts the response rate. Why not maximize your returns?

Old 02-18-2005, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
Because thats what is called a spring cleanup. Customers want to know they can count on you for a full year of service and they wont have to be looking elsewhere in fall for somebody else. If you put all the services you offer on a flier or advertisement they wont have to take the time to call you and ask if you do something or worse yet not even bother to call you and call someone else. Who cares...the customer, thats who!
Up to a point, you have a point. Some do. Some do not. Again, if he's interested ONLY in customers who want to contract out that entire suite of services, great. However, if he ALSO wants customers who want just mow/edge/trim, why bother? The former will call anyway. The latter group will be put off by any notion that they have to sign on for the whole enchilada.

Again, going back to the point about message clutter. PEOPLE WILL NOT READ DISSERTATIONS!!!! If you don't keep it brief, you're losing people, period. I can't imagine that this is a disputed point in an age notorious for media saturation.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mark
Reasoning on the 1/2 sheet is b/c i have a limited amount of money this year for advertising. thought i could get more out of less. i understand what ur saying about the call for action i will add that to the next set of fliers that i print. do u think there is too much on the flier.

Jeremy
Old 02-18-2005, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is nothing in the world wrong with using half a page. I think it's more effective than a whole page and cheaper. Don't change it.