Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-18-2005, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Up to a point, you have a point. Some do. Some do not. Again, if he's interested ONLY in customers who want to contract out that entire suite of services, great. However, if he ALSO wants customers who want just mow/edge/trim, why bother? The former will call anyway. The latter group will be put off by any notion that they have to sign on for the whole enchilada.

Again, going back to the point about message clutter. PEOPLE WILL NOT READ DISSERTATIONS!!!! If you don't keep it brief, you're losing people, period. I can't imagine that this is a disputed point in an age notorious for media saturation.

How do you know what a potential customer wants and what they dont want until they call you???? If you do landscape lighting and you dont put it on your flier or ad, people who want that service will look right over you.

And there are tons of ways of making a flyer "neat" looking and still getting your point across.

Customers need to know what you offer, thats why they call you. Some cutomers may want fertilizing but not mowing. Some may want mowing but dont want the yard cleaned up in the fall. They have to know what you offer in order to call you.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
How do you know what a potential customer wants and what they dont want until they call you???? If you do landscape lighting and you dont put it on your flier or ad, people who want that service will look right over you.

And there are tons of ways of making a flyer "neat" looking and still getting your point across.

Customers need to know what you offer, thats why they call you. Some cutomers may want fertilizing but not mowing. Some may want mowing but dont want the yard cleaned up in the fall. They have to know what you offer in order to call you.
Do you have to list EVERY service? No. Your flyer can say "We offer basic lawn care to full landscape maintenance." So far so good?

As for not knowing what they want until they call you, thank you for reinforcing what I said earlier. The idea is to generate calls! Capisce?

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

packerbacker

I advertised for the thing i know how to do and do well. I don't want to advertise for something I'm not sure of and get a call and do a bad job
dose anyone have any advice on the timing issuse with the snow.

Jeremy

Last edited by Classic Lawn; 02-18-2005 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Do you have to list EVERY service? No. Your flyer can say "We offer basic lawn care to full landscape maintenance." So far so good?

As for not knowing what they want until they call you, thank you for reinforcing what I said earlier. The idea is to generate calls! Capisce?

No i dont "capisce". I list everything i do. Most people dont know what "basic" lawn service entails. LCOs really have to dummy things up for the common customer so they can understand it.

I can guarantee if you put out flier that says

"Basic Lawn Service"

and i put one out that says

Mowing
Aerating
Verticutting
Overseeding
Fertilizing
Landscaping
Water Gardens

Im going to generatate 10X the calls you do.

And i didnt reinforce anything you posted. I would never agree with someone who puts out a flier that says "basic lawn service" The only people i see doing that are 15 year olds looking for an extra 50 bucks for beer money on a Sat night.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lawn
packerbacker

I advertised for the thing i know how to do and do well. I dont want to advertise for something iam not sure of and get a call and do a bad job

Jeremy

And there nothing wrong with that at all. But try to make it more appealing to the eye. Your selling yourself . If your a good business man then you will get the business.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice ad. Put the call to action on there though as stated before (2 free mowings if signed up by ????) or the good ol (Early bird special). You must create urgency to make the customer act. Instead of getting out 5,000 to 5,000 houses, consider doing 1600 to the same houses 3 times between now and May/June
Old 02-18-2005, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko
Nice ad. Put the call to action on there though as stated before (2 free mowings if signed up by ????) or the good ol (Early bird special). You must create urgency to make the customer act. Instead of getting out 5,000 to 5,000 houses, consider doing 1600 to the same houses 3 times between now and May/June

Agreed, you want to be repetitive. Most people wont remember 1 flier but they will remember 3. Keep at it. Hit them once every couple weeks for a month or half or so. Concentrate on 2-3 neighborhoods to keep your routes tight.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
Im going to generatate 10X the calls you do.

And i didnt reinforce anything you posted. I would never agree with someone who puts out a flier that says "basic lawn service" The only people i see doing that are 15 year olds looking for an extra 50 bucks for beer money on a Sat night.
I don't know how you can possibly know you're going to "generatate" ten times the number of calls my flyers would. I like these unsupportable assertions. For the record, the first 1,100 flyers I did last year generated 37 calls, a response rate of 3%. How about you? Are you getting a 30% response rate?

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

packerbaker
i can what u r saying but there is nothing i can do about it right now. it will be somthing that i change on my next flier. no one is going to call for over seeding or any other general service's listed cause they dont think that they are available.

Jeremy

dose anyone think that the weather is a factor on if a customer is going to call i need to get these things out but i dont know if its a good idea considering the weather

Last edited by Classic Lawn; 02-18-2005 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

wow how did you get a 3% responce how many did you deliver and how many times etc to the same area