Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:12 PM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
I don't know how you can possibly know you're going to "generatate" ten times the number of calls my flyers would. I like these unsupportable assertions. For the record, the first 1,100 flyers I did last year generated 37 calls, a response rate of 3%. How about you? Are you getting a 30% response rate?




First of all i dont do fliers, I never have, i send out glossy postcards. I dont even advertise anymore, I work off word of mouth. I sent out 500 postcards to one neighborhood once on 3 seperate times. I now have 12 houses in there after 2 seasons.

I know it because after almost 11 years of doing this i know what works. It looks more professional to do it that way. Its just the way it is. If you want to do it your way then go ahead, i dont agree with it. My suggestion is try it my way and see what happens. It never hurts to get info from people and try things their way. You might be surprised.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:14 PM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
I kept it brief and called for action. It was one flyer per household. I don't know what I'd have got on a repeat hit or hits, but I was pretty happy with 3%.
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:14 PM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lawn
packerbaker
i can what u r saying but there is nothing i can do about it right now. it will be somthing that i change on my next flier. no one is going to call for over seeding or any other general service's listed cause they dont think that they are available.

Jeremy



EXACTLY! And thats why you let them know they are available. If you dont know how to do it and your scared of doing a bad job then my suggestion is hit some other forums around here and get as much as info as possible. The broader your company is the more work you will do, thus the more money you will make and so on and so on.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
First of all i dont do fliers, I never have, i send out glossy postcards. I dont even advertise anymore, I work off word of mouth. I sent out 500 postcards to one neighborhood once on 3 seperate times. I now have 12 houses in there after 2 seasons.

I know it because after almost 11 years of doing this i know what works. It looks more professional to do it that way. Its just the way it is. If you want to do it your way then go ahead, i dont agree with it. My suggestion is try it my way and see what happens. It never hurts to get info from people and try things their way. You might be surprised.
In other words, your response rate wasn't even 3%, let alone 30%. Thanks very much!
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:17 PM
Classic Lawn Classic Lawn is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington, Michigan
Posts: 306
Dose anyone think that the weather would be an issue if a customer is going to call or not when they see a flier cuze we still have snow on the ground and r suppose to get more.
jeremy
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Maxwells Maxwells is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: NZ
Posts: 73
gee 3% is great i have just done 6000 and got .5% should i go back over some of the areas ?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:22 PM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
In other words, your response rate wasn't even 3%, let alone 30%. Thanks very much!


I never said it was 3% All i know is i picked up 12 new houses and its about an extra 500 a week in income. You seem a little argeumentitive so ill let this one go. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lawn
packerbaker
i can what u r saying but there is nothing i can do about it right now. it will be somthing that i change on my next flier. no one is going to call for over seeding or any other general service's listed cause they dont think that they are available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
EXACTLY! And thats why you let them know they are available. If you dont know how to do it and your scared of doing a bad job then my suggestion is hit some other forums around here and get as much as info as possible. The broader your company is the more work you will do, thus the more money you will make and so on and so on.
I agree that the more services he offers and does a good job of, the more he will make. That doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with the kind of advertising he's undertaking with flyers.

Look, what I've been trying to say all along is that you don't have to itemize every service you offer on a flyer. Furthermore, what if a potential customer thinks of something they need done that you're happy to do, but didn't think to or see fit to include in your flyer? Think enumerating your services is still a better message strategy than saying something along the lines of "basic to comprehensive lawn and landscape care"?

In an earlier part of this thread, Backpacker, you commented that, and I quote, "LCOs really have to dummy things up for the common customer so they can understand it." So your customers are stupid? Very nice. I'm sure your customers would love to hear about your dim view of their cognitive capacities.

You also say that "I would never agree with someone who puts out a flier that says "basic lawn service" The only people i see doing that are 15 year olds looking for an extra 50 bucks for beer money on a Sat night." Are you going to tell us now that none of your customers are for just mowing, edging and trimming? I find that hard to believe.
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:31 PM
Lux Lawn's Avatar
Lux Lawn Lux Lawn is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland Ohio
Posts: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Lawn
Dose anyone think that the weather would be an issue if a customer is going to call or not when they see a flier cuze we still have snow on the ground and r suppose to get more.
jeremy
I believe that the weather plays into it a lot..If you are out passing out fliers with snow on the ground most people really will not be thinking about their lawn yet.Once the weather breaks thats the best time but thats also the time everybody else is out with their fliers so I feel the keys are, Quantity and the Quality of your fliers.
__________________
Luxury Lawn
Larry

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:41 PM
The landscaper's Avatar
The landscaper The landscaper is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: West of cleveland
Posts: 845
I think your still waiting on the weather question. lol. I only saw it posted 5 times. No one even looked at it. I think the weather will have some impact on it. I would wait for a nice sunny day to come up and get a lot out that day when people are starting to feel like spring is coming. I was thinking of getting some out the last week of Feb, then middle of march and maybe a few more right at starting time around the end of march beginning of april.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Page generated in 0.10638 seconds with 8 queries