Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by The landscaper
I think your still waiting on the weather question. lol. I only saw it posted 5 times. No one even looked at it. I think the weather will have some impact on it. I would wait for a nice sunny day to come up and get a lot out that day when people are starting to feel like spring is coming. I was thinking of getting some out the last week of Feb, then middle of march and maybe a few more right at starting time around the end of march beginning of april.
Yeah, sorry about losing track of that inquiry.

I'm with Landscaper on this. I"m not sure I'll get to 3 waves of flyers, but I've been looking at a hit next week, a second distribution in the second week of March, and one more hit the fourth week of March.
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:42 PM
tonygreek's Avatar
tonygreek tonygreek is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 2,723
Mark, I hereby knight you:
Sir Mark "Call To Action" McC Of D.C.

i'll assume you just have "needs a call to action" on your copy'n paste clipboard?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
Mark, I hereby knight you:
Sir Mark "Call To Action" McC Of D.C.

i'll assume you just have "needs a call to action" on your copy'n paste clipboard?
Oh, God, another wiseacre. Actually, what my flyers will say is "Okay, meatballs, you need to call me right now, sign up for the most incredibly overpriced service imaginable, and thank me even if I screw up royally."

Tony, I've been wondering when you'd chime in. Your coffee maker doing alright?
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-19-2005, 09:36 AM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
I agree that the more services he offers and does a good job of, the more he will make. That doesn't necessarily have anything at all to do with the kind of advertising he's undertaking with flyers.

Look, what I've been trying to say all along is that you don't have to itemize every service you offer on a flyer. Furthermore, what if a potential customer thinks of something they need done that you're happy to do, but didn't think to or see fit to include in your flyer? Think enumerating your services is still a better message strategy than saying something along the lines of "basic to comprehensive lawn and landscape care"?

In an earlier part of this thread, Backpacker, you commented that, and I quote, "LCOs really have to dummy things up for the common customer so they can understand it." So your customers are stupid? Very nice. I'm sure your customers would love to hear about your dim view of their cognitive capacities.

You also say that "I would never agree with someone who puts out a flier that says "basic lawn service" The only people i see doing that are 15 year olds looking for an extra 50 bucks for beer money on a Sat night." Are you going to tell us now that none of your customers are for just mowing, edging and trimming? I find that hard to believe.







I assume it was your dyslexia that made you switch my name around. Either that or you were trying to be cute. Mission NOT accomplished. Anyway...

I know what you have been trying to say along and I completely disagree with it. Ill put it as simple as I can. 99& of customers are looking for a certain thing. Wether its mowing, fertilizing, aerating, landscaping or cleanups. When they pick up a flyer they want to see what a company offers so they can make a choice. They dont want to take the time to call up 10 different people to see if they offer what they are looking for. People are lazy. This is really quite simple to understand.

The common person who hires us does not know what a basic to comprehensive lawn service is. How would they know? I explained this before and apparently it went right over your head. If you put both flyers on a door and mine was a nice glossy page with a picture of one of my houses with fresh stripes and nice landscaping and it itemized what services i offered with my name and phone number and yours was a piece of typing paper that had your name and # and it said "basic lawn care" I guarantee they are going to call me first. 9 out 10 people will find mine more appealing and more professional and want to hire me.


And I never said my customers were stupid. If I did could you provide the post where i said " my customers are stupid"? I guarantee i never said. When i said "dummy things up" I meant sometimes you have make things basic for people to understand. What I'm writing now is a PERFECT example of that.

And your correlation between putting out a crappy flier such as yours and people that just want mowing, trimming and blowing makes no sense at all. Most of my customers are just mowing but it has nothing to do with a flyer. People dont know what a basic lawn service is. I have new customers all the time that ask me if edge the sidewalks or blow off the driveways. They just dont know what "basic" means and thats exactly the reason you have to explain it to them.

As I said earlier we all of different ways of doing things. I dont agree with yours. Mine has worked well for years now and Ill continue to do. This is a forum to learn different things from people and try new ideas. So instead of you bashing people right off the bat open up and maybe you'll learn something.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:04 AM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
I assume it was your dyslexia that made you switch my name around. Either that or you were trying to be cute. Mission NOT accomplished. Anyway...

I know what you have been trying to say along and I completely disagree with it. Ill put it as simple as I can. 99& of customers are looking for a certain thing. Wether its mowing, fertilizing, aerating, landscaping or cleanups. When they pick up a flyer they want to see what a company offers so they can make a choice. They dont want to take the time to call up 10 different people to see if they offer what they are looking for. People are lazy. This is really quite simple to understand.

The common person who hires us does not know what a basic to comprehensive lawn service is. How would they know? I explained this before and apparently it went right over your head. If you put both flyers on a door and mine was a nice glossy page with a picture of one of my houses with fresh stripes and nice landscaping and it itemized what services i offered with my name and phone number and yours was a piece of typing paper that had your name and # and it said "basic lawn care" I guarantee they are going to call me first. 9 out 10 people will find mine more appealing and more professional and want to hire me.


And I never said my customers were stupid. If I did could you provide the post where i said " my customers are stupid"? I guarantee i never said. When i said "dummy things up" I meant sometimes you have make things basic for people to understand. What I'm writing now is a PERFECT example of that.

And your correlation between putting out a crappy flier such as yours and people that just want mowing, trimming and blowing makes no sense at all. Most of my customers are just mowing but it has nothing to do with a flyer. People dont know what a basic lawn service is. I have new customers all the time that ask me if edge the sidewalks or blow off the driveways. They just dont know what "basic" means and thats exactly the reason you have to explain it to them.

As I said earlier we all of different ways of doing things. I dont agree with yours. Mine has worked well for years now and Ill continue to do. This is a forum to learn different things from people and try new ideas. So instead of you bashing people right off the bat open up and maybe you'll learn something.
I still don't understand how anything you keep saying really supports your case, but that's just me and my close-minded way of doing things.

By the way, saying that you have to "dummy things up" for your prospective customers is tantamount to calling them dummies, period. There is just no avoiding that fact. It was your choice of words, not mine.

"People are lazy. This is really quite simple to understand." Once again, you display a contempt of others. Are they lazy or are their lives just unbelievably cluttered? You seem inclined to argue the pejorative case. At the risk of repeating myself, I'll reiterate: It was your choice of words, not mine. It doesn't matter how hard you try to project this propensity onto me. The words are yours. If you can find a way to make me believe they're mine, great. So far, no go.

Let me know when you're actually measuring response rates to your advertising methods and we can see exactly what sort of returns you're getting. After all, without the numbers, you really are not arguing anything at all, are you?
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:19 AM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
I still don't understand how anything you keep saying really supports your case, but that's just me and my close-minded way of doing things.

By the way, saying that you have to "dummy things up" for your prospective customers is tantamount to calling them dummies, period. There is just no avoiding that fact. It was your choice of words, not mine.

"People are lazy. This is really quite simple to understand." Once again, you display a contempt of others. Are they lazy or are their lives just unbelievably cluttered? You seem inclined to argue the pejorative case. At the risk of repeating myself, I'll reiterate: It was your choice of words, not mine. It doesn't matter how hard you try to project this propensity onto me. The words are yours. If you can find a way to make me believe they're mine, great. So far, no go.

Let me know when you're actually measuring response rates to your advertising methods and we can see exactly what sort of returns you're getting. After all, without the numbers, you really are not arguing anything at all, are you?





How can you not understand it. Ive broken it down to a very basic thought process for you to do. Everything i just said proved my case for me on why you should itemize what you do on a flyer. The simple fact of the matter is you choose not open up and realize it thus leading you force yourself not to understand it.

And your right they are my words. BUT YOU USED THE WORD "STUPID", and im still waiting for you to provide the proof that i used that word.

Dont be so naive. People are lazy, its the way it is. If I was looking for a specific job to be done by an electrician such as having an outlet put in and I looked for an ad in the phone book. I would immediately call the guy who's ad let me know that he did that work instead of having to take the time to call someone who I didnt know if they did that specific job.

Another example. I bought a new truck last year. Instead of drving around to 20 different lots and wasting my time not knowing if the lot had that truck i got on autotrader.com and found it first.

People want things handed to them. The easier the better.

As I stated before. Ive only advertised once. I dont need to. I work off of reputation and word and mouth. It seem to be working great for me. I base my posts not off of experience in handing out fliers but off of experience of life in general and knowing what people want.

If you cant understand this by now and you continue to make things up about words i SUPPOSEDLY used then do it on your own time.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
How can you not understand it. Ive broken it down to a very basic thought process for you to do. Everything i just said proved my case for me on why you should itemize what you do on a flyer. The simple fact of the matter is you choose not open up and realize it thus leading you force yourself not to understand it.

And your right they are my words. BUT YOU USED THE WORD "STUPID", and im still waiting for you to provide the proof that i used that word.

Dont be so naive. People are lazy, its the way it is. If I was looking for a specific job to be done by an electrician such as having an outlet put in and I looked for an ad in the phone book. I would immediately call the guy who's ad let me know that he did that work instead of having to take the time to call someone who I didnt know if they did that specific job.

Another example. I bought a new truck last year. Instead of drving around to 20 different lots and wasting my time not knowing if the lot had that truck i got on autotrader.com and found it first.

People want things handed to them. The easier the better.

As I stated before. Ive only advertised once. I dont need to. I work off of reputation and word and mouth. It seem to be working great for me. I base my posts not off of experience in handing out fliers but off of experience of life in general and knowing what people want.

If you cant understand this by now and you continue to make things up about words i SUPPOSEDLY used then do it on your own time.
Why not do it on your time, too? After all, I kinda enjoy that you're getting a real nasty wedgie from all this.

"Dont be so naive. People are lazy, its the way it is." My, aren't you the great humanitarian? You have to dummy things up and people are lazy...and I'm naive.

Do I possess any other character flaws you'd like to enlighten me about? I'm sure I could use more straightening out by a great human being like you.
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 AM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Why not do it on your time, too? After all, I kinda enjoy that you're getting a real nasty wedgie from all this.

"Dont be so naive. People are lazy, its the way it is." My, aren't you the great humanitarian? You have to dummy things up and people are lazy...and I'm naive.

Do I possess any other character flaws you'd like to enlighten me about? I'm sure I could use more straightening out by a great human being like you.




As usuall with most of your posts you have turned it into a pissing contest. You have proved me RIGHT by taking the thread and turning it away from what it was meant to be and into something personal.

You do it the way you do and enjoy driving around in a 20 year old truck with a 36 inch mower. Obviously just by looking at your equipment and comparing it to mine my way is better.



BTW im still waiting for your proof that i used the word "stupid". By you lying and making things up Ive already proved that im right. When a person has to lie to try to prove a point they have already lost.


Have a nice weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-19-2005, 11:56 AM
Mark McC's Avatar
Mark McC Mark McC is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Virginia, metro DC
Posts: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by packerbacker
As usuall with most of your posts you have turned it into a pissing contest.

Have a nice weekend.
Interesting that you've tracked my postings closely enough to ascertain that I typically turn things into a pissing contest. Nice to know I'm that important to you!

You have a lovely weekend, too.
__________________
Mark

Ham and eggs. A day's work for a chicken; a lifetime commitment for a pig.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-19-2005, 12:33 PM
packerbacker packerbacker is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Overland Park KS
Posts: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McC
Interesting that you've tracked my postings closely enough to ascertain that I typically turn things into a pissing contest. Nice to know I'm that important to you!

You have a lovely weekend, too.




LMAO, i noticed you didnt cut and paste the part of the post about you lying and making things up. Right there proved everything i have said about you is 100% right.

Then you admit to being a 40 sum year old guy who sits around on a Sat morning enjoying annoying people on a message board.

Wow, your quite a guy. I have a family and a life to spend the weekend with. See ya,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:19 AM.

Page generated in 0.14922 seconds with 8 queries