Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2005, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dealer got mad at me today.

I went to see my Stihl dealer today, my Stihl hedge trimmer was not running properly and I was tired of messing with it. So the mechanic who it also the manager came out to the truck and saw my Red Max eb7001 backpack blower and had a fit. He asked me what the hell was I thinking buying anything but a Stihl? I told him that it can blow a Stihl out of the water, I think that may be the end of my top notch service from them! He was really mad about this! It kind of ticked me off because I have bought almost all my small stuff from them and now he gets pissed over 1 blower!
Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmm.... not that I agree with him,(because he shouldn't have shown his anger) ... but in his defense... how would you feel if your BEST/Long lasting/loyal customer decided to have someone other then you cut his lawn one time?

Maybe our service/product guys expect the same loyalty that we expect from our customers...

just a thought...
Old 02-18-2005, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Man,

Don't sweat it....

He will get over it. And if he don't just go out and get a Red max trimmer.....

He doesn't sound very professional. He sound like a BIG Baby

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 02-18-2005, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Cuts
hmmm.... not that I agree with him,(because he shouldn't have shown his anger) ... but in his defense... how would you feel if your BEST/Long lasting/loyal customer decided to have someone other then you cut his lawn one time?

Maybe our service/product guys expect the same loyalty that we expect from our customers...

just a thought...

Only one problem with this...........
Stihl products are well built and dependable.......I know.
BUT..........Their 420 backpack blower sucks in comparison to the competition.
They dropped the ball in this one area.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I can understand him being upset...especially if you did not even speak with him about the stihl backpack blower before you purchased the redmax.

With that said...he's got no right to be 'mad' at you. I dunno where he thinks that is going to get him with your company. Personally, I would have just turned and said something along the lines of hey if Stihl made a backpack blower that met my needs I would purchase it..they don't (If you feel that's the case).
Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds like a personal problem to me..I dealt with the same dealer for all my handheld and mowing equipment for 4 years. I switched to Wright Standers last summer, and got rid of all our Snapper mowing equipment. They still sell and service all my Shindaiwa equipment,and are more than happy to rent our large equipment to us(they are a rental center also).
Old 02-18-2005, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
BUT..........Their 420 backpack blower sucks in comparison to the competition.
agreed... but somehow I don't think the dealer 'thought' of this when he saw the Redmax... instead he saw $$$ that he didn't get and was use to getting from the buyer over the years.

Right or wrong.... the dealer shouldn't have acted like a baby about it.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Greengrow if he can't take it he needs to find a new line of work. I had a similar situation but it turned out positive. Always bought from gravely dealer, in fact I was one of there first buyers. Well needed a new ZTR was looking at Gravely 260 with 28EFI. I was quoted a little above 10grand. Hustler Super Z 28EFI 7900. Bought the hustler not only because of price, just liked the mower better. I still go the gravely dealership and they treat me with the same amount of respect as before. There should be some loyalty but this is a business.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm all for loyalty, and it helps you out down the road when you're in a bind...BUT...the big difference is, as an LCO we (usually) have contracts/service agreements with our customers. No such agreement with our dealers. I'll sign a service agreement with my dealer if he guarantees next day turnaround on repairs, and promises to call me when something is ready (instead of my calling him, to hear "Oh yeah, that part came in a couple days ago...come on by)

There was also that time he sold "my" new Exmark to a larger company that needed 6 of them right away. I can understand that was a business decision on his part, but don't expect me to buy every single thing from him then.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm partial towards Stihl products myself, but when I find a piece of equipment that outperforms what I currently use, I'll grab it. Dealer loyality isn't even a second thought. If he can't get 'em, I'll find somebody who can. Remember, we're the ones using them on a daily basis.