Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-18-2005, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another what would you do ?

As I was cleaning out a retaining pond area of a new office complex being built and I found a ten foot 3 pt ladder that was out of sight of of the construction going on. I'm sure someone was stealing it and stashed it there to come back to pick it up later. Anyway I asked the four contractors that have been working on the site if they were missing this. Each one of them said "yea that's ours". I'm thinking now, what a bunch of scammers as none of them even came to look at it. So I packed it out and threw it into my truck and took it home. I would like to give it back to the rightfull owner but heck, what do you do when four outfits say that it belongs to them and none of them even takes the time to send someone to even look at it? Much less offer to have someone drag it the hundred yards out of the pond area to get it back. So, should I just keep it or what? I can just imagine the response to an ad in the paper for a lost ladder Thanks folks....Oly
WSDA# 65537
Old 02-18-2005, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

keep it. this is a world of vipers. i found a roll of money at my job one day. posted by the time clock that i found some cash, if the rightful owner could tell me how much it was, i'd return it. i had 12 people saying they lost money and taking guesses. not one of them was within $100 of the true amount. i kept it. keep the ladder
Old 02-18-2005, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No way I would have taken the ladder. After you asked everyone on the jobsite, you knew one thing for sure, the ladder didn't belong to you. What are you going to do if the cops show up because somebody reports it missing and the guys you asked give your name or license number. All you need as a business owner is to have your name associated with theft even implied theft.
Old 02-18-2005, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the reply Bob, and btw, I'm a Bob too. Your right about the world of vipers, how sad. I don't even need the thing as I have two others just like it. It just gets my goat to think that all these guys would just claim it, to get it, and not even send someone to check it out much less have one of they're guys to come drag it out. Like I'm going to drag it out all that way for them at no charge er, surcharge ....
WSDA# 65537
Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Turf Medic, I wasn't really clear on this. I know the owner/ developer on this site very well and thanks for your concern, but it's not a real problem as I'm real close to this project. He understands the situation. That being said, what would you do then? Like I said before, I don't need the thing but it seems I'm stuck with it. What should I do?......
WSDA# 65537
Old 02-19-2005, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I too agree with Turf, I would not have taken it
Old 02-19-2005, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olylawnboy
Turf Medic, I wasn't really clear on this. I know the owner/ developer on this site very well and thanks for your concern, but it's not a real problem as I'm real close to this project. He understands the situation. That being said, what would you do then? Like I said before, I don't need the thing but it seems I'm stuck with it. What should I do?......
I would have done one of couple of options, I would have left it where it was, dropped it with one of the contractors that claimed ownership, or left it at a "common" materials or scrap area. You may very well end up with a good ladder that will cause you no further concern, but you could also end up with a black mark on your company name. IMO knowing the owner/developer may help clear up any misunderstanding in the end, in the event one of the contractors turn you in, but the damage may very well be done before it gets cleared up.
Old 02-19-2005, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pretty simple, you took something that wasn't yours. I understand the situation and the disregard of the others, but it's not yours. You simply took something that didn't belong to you. Spin it however you want, you stole it.
Old 02-19-2005, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olylawnboy
Anyway I asked the four contractors that have been working on the site if they were missing this. Each one of them said "yea that's ours". I'm thinking now, what a bunch of scammers as none of them even came to look at it. So I packed it out and threw it into my truck and took it home. I would like to give it back to the rightfull owner
So you think that their is a better chance that the rightful owner was one of them or you?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

bunch of fools, GIVE ME THE DAMN LADDER, i'll take it, then you don't have to worry about it