Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-20-2005, 03:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was just pondering this myself the other night. What I came up with was the fact that there are so many amigos in CA that they pretty much cover the demand for lawn care, but not on a big business level. I'm thinking that lots of people in cali hire them as domestic workers and they just work on the grounds at each house, not a lot of lcos needed.

Either that, or I dunno.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fareway Lawncare
From What I Understand You can Thank California for all These Annoying Enviro-Nut Laws..

-Spark Arrestor Screens...Thanks California.
-2-Cycle Regulations that Killed the Great Suzuki and Duraforce Engines...& Screwed up the Carbs on the Stick Tools...Thanks California.

They're Probably too Busy Mowing Lawns w/Reel Mowers and Trimming w/scissors and "blowing" w/Push Brooms to Post Much...
I actually agree, fareway...not too many "legit" lcos due to egregious laws over there, and the illegal population...
Old 02-20-2005, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Maybe all of the California guys are on a Latin American Lawnsite. Se habla espanol?
Old 02-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert F
From what I see around Los Angeles here is most of the guys that do lawns don't speak or write english. Ever heard of getting your yard done, front and back, done every week, it's all bagged AND edged all for a monthly total of... $50! Most of those guys I doubt have computers. Besides those guys you have a few like me and then you have the big companies that do most of the commercial properties.

There ya go.... not too many real LCO's in my neck of the woods.
The whole country will be like this soon. Just a matter of time. Lawn care, trucking will be taken over by people willing to work for peanuts
Old 02-20-2005, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I always thought for it's size there was not alot of replies from CA guys...more from Oregon or Washington.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not much need out there...most of the state has been paved.
2008 F350 Stake body 6.4 Diesel
1992 Chevy 1500
4 Boss snowplows
1 Grasshopper 722D 61"
3 Grasshopper 223 61"
1 Kubota ZD 331 72"
1 Toro 36" W/B
1 Toro 44" W/B
1 Wright Stander 52"
1 Massey Ferguson 1428 Tractor
1 Kubota RTV 1100 diesel with broom
Husqvarna trimmers
Stihl and Redmax blowers
Old 02-20-2005, 10:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I took notice of this years ago while watching a movie, maybe karate kid or something. When a movie is based in CA you always see a guy doing some kind of landscape work and it's always like this:

1 guy, usually latino, possibly the same one in all movies
green or beige uniform
late 60's, early 70's pick-up, faded but no rust

Tools he uses:

push mower
12" hedge shears
rake
garden hose, which he brings with him (if you don't see him actually using it, it's hanging off the rack on the truck)
Old 02-20-2005, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Funny! Funny! For starters REL MEN don't drink LIGHT beer! Just kidding, Im a Whisky rocking roller. We do work all year out here thats why I do this kind of work. I don't post alot on here I still think typing is for girls, just kidding. There is a lot of big outfits out here that like to hire non english speaking workers. That comes in to my favor being a citizen and speaking only English. This site is pretty much useless for me. Everyone on here is from the other side of the country! You have diffderent tools, plants, Most of you guys arn't even working now?!?! It would be nice to find a Lawn care forum that is in So California. Oh well, You guys get ready Spring is a comming!
Old 02-20-2005, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

I'm from Central California. White male, green shirts, no uniform, 01 dodge truck. I've been an lco part time for a couple years. On target to go full time next year.

I check in and read from time to time but don't post much. Still learning as much as possible.

Besides the BIG guys in my area I've only seen what would appear to be two or three legit LCO's. But, there are tons of guys with late 60's, early 70's pick-up, faded but no rust...... and excellent tans.

Finding the right customers for my business is getting better with each referral. I'll keep plugging along, reading this website, post only if I feel I have useful information to contribute and... pressing 1 for English.

Old 02-20-2005, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battags
Wow! I've never thought about it, but he's right! I can't think of one LS member, let alone one whose been here for a while, that is from the Left Coast.

Well, let's see if any of them post!

Brian
Bill Schwab from Solana Beach is a regular contibutor, although I haven't seen him post for a few days.

If you like the job Granholm is doing for Michigan, you'll love the job Obama will do for the U.S.

“The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter.” Winston Churchill