Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-19-2005, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is this a good price for a used rider?

Looking to buy a new "used" rider this season. I found one in my area that is going for $6000.00. Its a 2002 61" Scag that has a 27 hp Liquid coold kawi on it. The guy told me (and showed me) that he paid $8126.00 for it. He also told me that last year he blew a pump and paid dearly for that also (showed receipt). Now my friend has worked on and off for him and he told me that the maintenance on this machine was always maintained every 6 months, needed or not. Is 6k too much for it or is it in the ballpark. I was looking to spend around 5k but this is a nice machine and has potential for accessories. What do you think?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Member

It is way too much, IMO. The 2005 models are out. He is selling an 02 that he paid 8000 for and expects 6000 for it? Joking right? Look, I know of no mower that has a six month service schedule, period. Could your friend be getting a little something if he talks you into buying it? Look, I'm not trying to be harsh, but there are a lot of better deals out there than six grand for an 02 model. I do love the 27 hp lc kaw. Great engine, but still too much money, IMO! You didn't say how many hours it has in your post! DO you know? If it is super clean and you can demo it for a full day and everything seems to be great, offer him 5k max

Greg
Old 02-20-2005, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Greg just about covered it. Depends on how much it was used but if it was maintained every 6 months then it must not have been used a lot. The hours are very important also. It would have to be a low hour machine for me to pay $5,000 for it but it must have several hours on it for him to replace a pump. If you are considering spending $6000 for it then just add a couple more and get a new one.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:45 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately, it seems that mowers depreciate in value much like automobiles. I wouldn't pay $25,000 for a two year old truck that is selling new for $27,000. Even if it only had 10 miles on it and was garage kept. As soon as you leave the dealer's lot with your new car, the value drops $2,000!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocutter
Now my friend has worked on and off for him and he told me that the maintenance on this machine was always maintained every 6 months, needed or not.
Every 6 months??? That alone would make me walk away...sorry, run real quick.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodfather
Every 6 months??? That alone would make me walk away...sorry, run real quick.
6 grand! go to a dealer and get pricing, buy new with a warranty.
why take that chance?
you might not get as much machine for 6k but it will be new instead of unknown, 6 mos. without service? is this a home user?
Old 02-20-2005, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

also keep in mind you will get much better financing on a new machine. If finacing is needed
Dennis E. Forbes
Old 02-20-2005, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dforbes
also keep in mind you will get much better financing on a new machine. If finacing is needed
plus dealer support should the machine go down for any reason, I bought a used wb yesterday, before i bought i verified with my dealer that he would still service it with out prejudice, he said i'm a good customer & as long as i could show it not stolen he would add it to the system as being from them! awesome dealer! he told me i would be a fool if i didn't get it for that price and condition and he advised me to do it. I cover my bases with the dealers before i make a move.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok did some checking into it. The machine has less than 700 hours and was used weekly for 2 days out of the week. My friend isnt taking any kickbacks (I grew up with him also my girlfriends brother). So 5k max huh?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocutter
Ok did some checking into it. The machine has less than 700 hours and was used weekly for 2 days out of the week. My friend isnt taking any kickbacks (I grew up with him also my girlfriends brother). So 5k max huh?
Okay then, according to a guy you trust based on it beiing a 2002 model and his service record of every 6 months then it has been serviced 4-5 times depending on when in 2002 he bought it. According to the maker and the service guidelines and the 700 hours it should have been serviced at a min of 14 times on 50 hours and many LCO owners would probably have actually done it 28 times based on every 25 hours.

RUN from it at that and that price!

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...