Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

How do yo charge?

My first thread so I hope the wolves dont come out after the lamb.But here goes.
Some industries have a per hr. labor rate: body shops, auto repair etc. where they use a labor rate book based on the average time a person takes to perform a repair.Doing an identical repair if Joe is faster than Jim, Joe makes more money. If you timed yourself you could figure your labor rate easily based on these tasks.
Load and unload =x
10k sqft mow =x
100 lin ft edge =x
100 lin ft trim = x
blow off =x
total per cut = all x's added together
I know you would have to tweak it for your company.
my question is do you think this would leave money on the table or is there to many varibles to make this work?
Old 02-20-2005, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I am not quite sure what your question is but I will give it a shot.

One thing to watch out for with that type of thinking is: (you vs. me is just to show you some scenarios, not to compare anything else)

1. what if you have a 21 mower and give a price on a 1/2 acre lot. wouldn't your labor price be enormous compared to my price.

2. If I had a super effecient way of cutting someones lawn that took 1/3 the time you do it (I could have invested 10,000 in a perfect mower for that type of lot) why should I charge 1/3 less the price of you.

3. I think you need to find out the going rates in your area and then decide how you want to plan your attack. By no means am I saying just go along with the crowd. Have a minimum price to drop your gate. If not you will be plagued with unwanted customers.

hoped it helped, I may of misinterpreted your question though
Old 02-20-2005, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

True many service's have set hourly rates which are used to complete an estimate but for routine task which they perform they have a set price ..... such as an oil change or front brakes .... if an "issue" comes up they will contact you with the added cost if you elect to have it done

Your's should be much the same .... you know or will know the time required to cut yards of certain size based on past experience if you don't have that experience you will .... n those first few will be a learning foundation fore you to come with a set price ....

Much like the car shop you may be on that routine job when you realize fert is needed or a broken irrigation head needs repair or hedges need trim .... you contact the owner let them know & they decide if they want this added cost

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com