Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-20-2005, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Strobe Lights!!!!

Do you guys use some sort of warning lights while parked in the street? If so what kind do you use and post pics of them. :blob1:
Old 02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have two led wic3 lights mounted on my tool box facing the rear and a quad flash amber strobe on my roof.I use the led lights when parked on a busy road(they come with 15 flash patterns i usually keep my roof light off. Here is the only pic i have right now as im still set up for the winter.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Verry nice set up. I like the LED's must get some attention!!!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I love them they are very bright .They have a lot of flash patterns but i like to keep them on a simple quad flash.Some of the pattern choices are just too "busy" and i think it would distract drivers. My roof strobe is quad flash so i think it looks good together. Best thing is how easy they are to wire up no power supply needed and they draw almost no amps.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Member

are they self contained strobes
Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking at having four amber gen three LED's installed on my fraightliner sometime in the next couple of weeks. They are great and extremly bright, we were having a problem while blocking traffic while doing installs on busy streets. I almost had a guy hit me with cones and an arrow board. I want to be safe and this will deffinatly get peoples attention.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Before you get too crazy with the strobes check into what you can legally use. Some colors are only to be used by official vehicles.

Also keep in mind that if you attract too much attention you might be held liable for distracting drivers and causing an accident.

The way I see it is this. A driver sees the flashing light. They identify the hazard from experience and react appropriately. If the flashing light is unique they will concentrate on the situation trying to identify what's happening. This can be good or bad from your perspective. If they're impaired by alcohol or drugs it means they're going to drive into you.

Strobes are best. They have the brightest lights and use the least amount of power. Placing them in an unusual position will get you noticed. I prefer the ones that are installed in the turn signals.

They take more time to install. You have to remove the tail and turn signals and drill mounting holes. It can be a pain running the wiring. But when they're on they'll catch more attention than ones in headache bars or rotating beacons on a roof. And when they're off your ride doesn't look like a part time wide load courtesy vehicle.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have two front strobes and four rear strobes along with a LED light bar in rear window. I'll try and post som epics a little later.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Led lights are the brightest especially the gen three LED's.Most police fire construction are starting to switch over to led's now because of the brightness plus Amp draw from led lights is almost nothing.Only draw back is if you are looking at them from an angle they can be hard to see.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt5019
Led lights are the brightest especially the gen three LED's.Most police fire construction are starting to switch over to led's now because of the brightness plus Amp draw from led lights is almost nothing.Only draw back is if you are looking at them from an angle they can be hard to see.
Just as said above the LED's are now the brightest lights with the lowest amp draw. Also the ones that are going on my truck are being professionally installed and will be the same as are on our local county trucks. Four on the front grill and four on the back of the truck. This is also a vary large truck much bigger even than the county trucks. In my opinion it is a necessity to protect me and my employees while operating on some of the busiest roads in MI, where in some instances we are blocking an inter lane of traffic.