Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-03-2001, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

LISTEN TO THIS: i have a regular customer that i quoted a price for, a 6 step program, plus lime. she has a weed problem, so we r doing extra weed control, shell get 5 fert apps, a preemergent, two weed controls, grub and lime, over 4500sq.feet, for $235. she just called me on the phone and said she showed the contract to her daughters lawn guy(some guy and his son, that r in it part time)and he said he would do the same program for, get this, $120. is this possible? i am so ticked right now, if he is doing this for this price, i know hes not licensed and does not pay taxes. ill rat him out so fast. is it possible to charge this price, and still have yur bisiness exsist? tell me if im wrong. BOB
Old 02-03-2001, 05:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

your not wrong.....second of all, if she goes for low bidder, you dont want that type of customer. Never drop your prices to chase lowballers, and in the end people that except lowball bids will get low quality.
Old 02-03-2001, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Let the other guy do it. $120 divided by 6 steps = $20 per visit. Chances are, she'll call you half way through the season when the scrub doesn't show up, or she realizes that he's doing a half-ass job.

If you choked a Smurf, what color would it turn?

I'd give my right hand , if I could be ambidextrous!
Old 02-03-2001, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like the only profit this guy will make will be enough for beer money for the weekends. If she wants quality she'll call back.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

No way he's got an applicators license,or insurance-not at those prices,they are taking a big chance,and the risks are high for them.I wouldnt take that account back midseason for nothing-say he applys hebicide right beore a rain-it runs off-they try to blame you 3 months later-Its not worth it to me.
Old 02-03-2001, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

When you live by the dollar, you die by the dollar. Just the fact he quoted such a ridiculously low price, shows he doesn't have a firm grasp of the lawn care business. One can only imagine his views on the science of this business.

G. William Lamar
Old 02-03-2001, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Member

my price is within 5 buckss, stress to the home owner of insurance and the proper license, for what this guy is going to offer is he going to guarantee his work. Being part time how long is it going to show up to take care of a potential problem, especially if is chinchbugs or grubs.
I know its tough but sell yourself and stress the benefits of your full time expertice. Cross your fingers that she'll give you the time of day. Have any local refereces?
Old 02-03-2001, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

not being mean here ,.... but if you think he is not ligit... get in contact with the exstenion office and let them check him out cause smoe states maybe a little differnt but all require state certifacation........
Old 02-03-2001, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Or simply tell them, you are a phone call away, when they finally get sick of looking at their lousy lawn.

G. William Lamar
Old 02-03-2001, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

folks, thanks for all of the support. i dont need references, ive been doing this lawn for 4 yrs. when i started there it was a disaster area, i thatched, seeded, and fertilized, and within 6 weeks the neighbors were coming out to compliment me on the way the lawn looks. think she got ticked cus i sent new contract, and get this, i raised the price, r u ready, one($1) dollar. everyone else was raised $2-$3. i think she thought she was getting smoked on the price of the fert. i explained it to her nicely that for $120 this guy is gonna do a bad job, and i explained about the licensing etc.see all the other years she paid per application, this year i gave her a flat rate for the whole program, i dont know what she was thinking. i do think she will see it my way, by the time our conversation was done, i think i had her convinced. u know, i was never concerned about "lowballers" or "scabs", but today it hit home. will i report him? maybe, sure, after every application is done! they do fine per app., right? ok folks, thanks for letting me vent. BOB