Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2005, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Direct Mailing Info and Source

FYI.... when we did direct mailings we had used several sources to do the mailings and to buy mail lists. Two years ago I cam e across a company called Zairmail. Their website is www.zairmail.com. They are really cost effective, have pre-made templates for our industry and are really cheap on the mail list purchase. I would encourage all to take a look at what they offer when shopping around and before doing a mail list.

An example is that I did a mailing to zip code 29575. I can narrow the list down to property owners, income over $40K, and have lived there more than a year. I got about 6,000 addresses. I sent out their post card with a simple greeting. Of the 6,000 that went out, about 20 came back as undeliverable. We got 722 calls, 501 estimates and 66 annual customers with an average annual billing of $2220.00. Best response we ever had.

Just tossing out some ideas to you all. It is very targeted marketing that worked well for me.

Old 01-23-2005, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, for those of you that are fighting fire ants, did you get registered with Bayer so you can take advantage of Top Choice Tools and be listed on www.nofireants.com? You can get a lot of FREE marketing support such as postcards, truck magnets, brochures, etc.

www.topchoicetools.com

Old 01-23-2005, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGreenscapes
FYI.... Best response we ever had.

Just tossing out some ideas to you all. It is very targeted marketing that worked well for me.

CoastGreenscapes

What was the Cost per thousand of mailing??

A company in my town will send my post cards for $0.20 each including the $ 0.12 postage bulk rate. Therefore I pay $0.08 per my postcard addressed and mailed. 1st Class mail would cost $ 0.23 alone if I did them my self. Postcard prices depend on the volume I have printed, I have not priced them so far.

Now my local guy tells me they can target by property value, not income. They also recommend hitting the same homeowners repeatedly instead of one shot to many. Was this great response a one time mailing to these homeowners or several repeat mailing???

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey CoastGreenscapes I have looked at the site only for a few minutes so how do you get to the pre made templates. Did you upload pictures to put on the postcard or did you make the postcards and does the site have pictures you can add to the postcard?

I will look around on the site but I thought I would take the lazy way first and just ask you.

Bill
Old 01-23-2005, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
CoastGreenscapes

What was the Cost per thousand of mailing??

A company in my town will send my post cards for $0.20 each including the $ 0.12 postage bulk rate. Therefore I pay $0.08 per my postcard addressed and mailed. 1st Class mail would cost $ 0.23 alone if I did them my self. Postcard prices depend on the volume I have printed, I have not priced them so far.

Now my local guy tells me they can target by property value, not income. They also recommend hitting the same homeowners repeatedly instead of one shot to many. Was this great response a one time mailing to these homeowners or several repeat mailing???

It was a one time mailing with a postcard at a cost of $0.23 each.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLS1
Hey CoastGreenscapes I have looked at the site only for a few minutes so how do you get to the pre made templates. Did you upload pictures to put on the postcard or did you make the postcards and does the site have pictures you can add to the postcard?

I will look around on the site but I thought I would take the lazy way first and just ask you.

Their template is online at the site.

Old 01-23-2005, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalGreenscapes
It was a one time mailing with a postcard at a cost of $0.23 each.

Coastal

At $ 0.23 total cost per card mailed, that is CHEAP. I am sure there were some Set Up charges also. You must have had Good COPY on the card to get that kind of a return.

Could you post a picture of the Postcard???

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:54 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Could you post a picture of the Postcard???
Yea...I would like to see the postcard also. WOW....12% response rate....that's spectacular!!! 12% on my 30,000 flyers going out would be 3600 calls. I hope I don't have your luck...not this time. No way I could take that many calls. I would be pretty happy with 1/2% response rate.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-23-2005, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Walker,

A lot has to do with narrowing the market down that you are targeting. That is why Zairmail's list was so good. It also only cost me $70 bucks too.

Old 01-23-2005, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i wish i could have that sort of response with direct mail i am about to do my first direct mail campaign this year. i have always done more indirect marketing such a newpaper adds and such. i have gone around and gotten specific neighborhood names and asked my realator to pull name and address info for me. i have been compilint it into a mailing database and hope to do my first mailing in february and then every month after that. im hoping for 1/2% response rate. i would be happy with that. i think if i got the 12% response rate that you did i would be pulling my hair out and be grey b4 i was 25!