Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

how long does it usually take?

my partner and I started biz up this year and just passed out our 1st batch of flyers out yesterday. We hit 2 developments which houses are aprox. $250k-$350k. we passed out 200 flyers total. i know thats not nearly enough but its a start. my question is what is the time frame normally for you to start receiving calls after passing out a batch of flyers. i feel like im sitting here watching the phone just waiting for it to ring!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Could be months. If you are just sitting there you should be passing out more fliers. Just because houses are 250 - 350 does not mean anything. A lot of these people are mortgaged to the eyeballs and have little disposable income. Taking credit cards might help w/ these people. Might want to hit a 100,000 to 200,000 area and compare response rates. The response rates listed on this site are from 1 job per 2,000 fliers to 3 jobs per 1,000 fliers passed out.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Based on only 200 flyers you'll be very lucky if you get 1 call.

To get jobs you'll have to put out 1,000's

A friend of mine has a trophy wife……..apparently she wasn’t 1st place though

...Amateurs built the Ark but professionals built the Titanic...

...YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID...
Old 02-23-2005, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lkie MARKO said keep passing them out I know your season won't start for another month if were lucky.Try to get out as many as possible.You are going to need more then 200 to get a decent amount of work.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

thanks for the replies. i understand that 200 flyers shouldnt even be considered advertising, but hey its a start! i guess my question is when do the bulk or your calls start coming in? while we were passing our flyers out i found another companies flyer laying in someones yard (covered in snow) i would have to say the quality of our flyers are 10 times that of the one i found. ours is printed from home and very colorful and the one i found was black print on yellow paper and only had a list of services and a phone number. is it just me or wouldnt you say that putting the "extra effort" into the flyers makes a difference?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's kind of like watching the grass grow. if you sit and watch it, it does nothing, but if you keep busy, and come back in a week, BAM! it's grown. you'll start to get calls as people start to think about their lawns. If you have time, keep on passing out flyers every day. it's just as important as mowing at this point in the game. also, wear your company shirts (if you have any yet) wherever you go, and always have some business cards ready. people may see your shirts at any time, and ask for a card. the point is to be seen more and more, and eventually, the calls will come in.
I haven't seen your flyers, but a good thing to do is target something they may be thinking about this time of year. So for now, spring aerating, spring cleanups, that sort of thing. anything to get your foot in the door, and go from there.
good luck with it. calls will start coming in soon enough. just make sure while you have all this down time, you get everything else you possibly can ready for when they do!
Old 02-23-2005, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target Lawn Care
thanks for the replies. i understand that 200 flyers shouldnt even be considered advertising, but hey its a start! i guess my question is when do the bulk or your calls start coming in? while we were passing our flyers out i found another companies flyer laying in someones yard (covered in snow) i would have to say the quality of our flyers are 10 times that of the one i found. ours is printed from home and very colorful and the one i found was black print on yellow paper and only had a list of services and a phone number. is it just me or wouldnt you say that putting the "extra effort" into the flyers makes a difference?
Yes putting the extra effort into it will pay off in the long run thats for sure.But like you said there is still snow on the ground and that means a lot of people are not thinking about the grass that they cannot see yet.Maybe wait until next week if the snow melts then do another round of fliers,some of the people may hold onto them from the original 200 you did if they know what they are looking for.

www.luxurylawninc.com

http://www.facebook.com/#!/LarryN828
Old 02-23-2005, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMLawn
Based on only 200 flyers you'll be very lucky if you get 1 call.

To get jobs you'll have to put out 1,000's
MM is correct...it's all a numbers game. I put out 600 2 weeks ago...got 1 call. It's still a little early here. I have another 29,400 going out in the next 3 months.

Good luck

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Member

wearing our shirts around sounds like a great idea...now i just gotta get some made up. with the number of flyers that we need to put out to get a reasonable response, i wonder if it would be cheaper to have a print shop print all my flyers out. im guessing a 4 color flyer can get pretty expensive tho...thx again everyone
Old 02-23-2005, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Another good idea is to post your flyer on here. Most people are really nice and will just give you ideas. It never hurts alot of people have really good ideas, and might even share some good ideas with you. Good Luck with it