Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerating/Dethatching

If you were to do one or the other in the spring, which would it be? i only want to buy one piece of equipment and am looking at the tow behind units....which would you do/ which is more important for the lawn? Aerating or Dethatching?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Aerating , first of all because I own a machine and 2nd I've never had a lawn that has 1/2 to 3/4 '' of thatch build up on it that would require dethatching .
Old 02-23-2005, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

they offer spike or core...which is more effective?

Any other opinions on dethatch V aerating?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Both pieces of equipment have their own purpose and both are an important part of the lawns healthy growth.

I would do the aerating for the reason that you will sell alot more aerating jobs then you will sell de-thatching jobs.

Core Aerator is what you want to look at purchasing, something that will actually remove a plug not just push the soil around.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells
Both pieces of equipment have their own purpose and both are an important part of the lawns healthy growth.

I would do the aerating for the reason that you will sell alot more aerating jobs then you will sell de-thatching jobs.

Core Aerator is what you want to look at purchasing, something that will actually remove a plug not just push the soil around.
Wells, I do a lot of small properties where customers don't want the plugs laying around. What's the answer? Also what about buried cable tv and phone lines? I am going to be expanding services this year and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe I can learn something.

-Paul
6 x 12 open trailer
Toro 48" w/b
Exmark 36" w/b
Snapper 36" w/b
Toro 21" SP mower.
Echo blowers and trimmers
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Core, all the spike does is compact.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

if I was going to do it I would go dethatching in the spring followed by a crabgrass prevention application, and then aeration early fall.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbomb
Wells, I do a lot of small properties where customers don't want the plugs laying around. What's the answer? Also what about buried <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=cable%20tv" onmouseover="window.status='<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=23&k=cable%20tv" onmouseover="window.status='cable tv'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cable tv</a>'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">cable tv</a> and phone lines? I am going to be expanding services this year and would like to hear your thoughts. Maybe I can learn something.

-Paul
Paul,
Try and explain to the customer that the plugs are actually good for their lawn and they will break down quickly. If they still don't want the cores left on the lawn I would add the cleanup of the cores to the aerating bid.

Phone lines, Cable TV and other utilities are generally required to be buried at least 12" or more in depth. If you were to hit one between 3" and 6" in the ground you should be able to get out of paying for it due to insuficient depth of their line.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy the aerator, MImowerkid is right not that many lawns need to be thatched (only if there is more than a quarter inch of thatch, a quarter inch or less is beneficial) all lawns benefit from aeration. When you run into lawns that need to be thatched your can run them over with the aerator 4-6 passes instead of the usual 2 and this will break the thatch layer up.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Alright i guess ill have to buy the tow behind core aerator...maybe it can make me a few extra bucks.