Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Briggs 4hp on Snapper

I have a friend who bought a used snapper with 4hp briggs. He was using it last fall and let go of the kill handle to empty the grass catcher and the mower stopped as it should, but it would never start back. The first thing I suggested was to unplug the kill switch to make sure it wasn't broken. That didn't work, but I was wondering does unplugging it allow you to start the mower or do you have to put some kind of jumper on.

The mower is about 6 years old, but has been well taken care of and had no starting problems before. He said it has a spark. He has changed the spark plug and changed the gas. He wanted to bring it over Sat to let me look at it.
2-Walker 20 HP GHS, 1-Walker 26 hp GHS, 1-Walker 23 hp GHS, 42 and 48 GHS decks, 42 mulch deck, 42 discharge deck, 3-Honda WB, 3 Shind Trimmers, Stihl BR600 blower, Shind 260 edger, Two Shind Multi-tool with artic. clippers and chainsaw, Redmax 8000 blower, Redmax 7001 blower, Shind 803 Blower, Spyker walk spreader, sprayer for Walker mower, 3-Stihl chainsaws.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Well if its getting a spark then its abviously a fuel problem. Maybe the fuel line is stopped up or there is dirt in the tank and wont allow the gas to pass through. Thats what i'd check first.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey mcambrose!

Im just across the river from you. What does your rig look like, might have seen you around. Give me a holler or pm me. Good to finally see someone from my area on here!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Even if you unplug the kill wire you still have to hold the handle back because of the band brake the holds the flywheel. Snapper also has a kill switch hooked up to the grass chute to keep it from being used if the grass catcher is not in place. If the switch messed up when the grass catcher was emptied.