Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-04-2001, 11:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I bought our first house about a year-and-a-halfd ago. The lawn looked horrible when we first moved in. After a few fertilizer treatments (Scotts Turfbuilder w/Insect Control, Weed Control) it looks better. But... I seems like there are a bunch of bare spots that just will not grow grass (no, not under trees), and I also seem to have several different types of grass. One of which looks like crabgrass, but it's not. Is there a way I can even all of this out without tilling my whole lawn, and starting over? I am planning on aerating this spring, but I don't really want all the cores laying all over my yard. Can I just use those "tine" ones that just kind of stab the ground? Thanks for the help guys!

-Tim
Old 02-04-2001, 12:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Tim,

You did not mention how large your yard is, but in all honesty, this answer is not what you probably want to hear. It is to till the whole yard up and then reseed.

We were in the same boat with you. Our yard was mess. I mean it was awful. After removing a rotting mullberry tree, we decided that it simply would be easier to start all over, than to try and look for a quick fix.

We used PennFine grass seed developed by Penn State University which is in our area and it came up beautiful. Last year we got lots of compliments on our yard, and we had great looking grass by the end of May.

Sometimes the quickest fix isn't all the best.

Jodi
Old 02-04-2001, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ughhh.

That's not good. My lot is pretty small. It's about 50' x 150', with a 900sq.ft. house and a 2-car garage on it. I don't have a whole lot of yard, but it's sufficient. I really didn't want to till up the whole thing and start over, but if that's what's needed, then that's what I'll do. Maybe I'll just do the front to start with, since that's the smaller section.

Ya think I should try aerating it first?

-Tim
Old 02-04-2001, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

roundup

You can use the roundup method if you really do each phase
by the book.Its in there info with purchase. Works
good but you got to do it right.It also helps spring
plantings hold out during heat of summer.
Old 02-04-2001, 03:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A number of variables to consider to decide the simplest course. Can you post a few pictures? We could make better recommendations then. Tilling is not necessary unless the surface is relatively uneven - pock marked like the roads now .
Old 02-04-2001, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The surface is relatively uneven, but I was thinking of renting one of those rollers that you fill with water right after all the snow melts. The ground should be soft enough to be able to level it out some. After I do that, I was going to aerate it, then fertilize.

-Tim
Old 02-04-2001, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you need to overseed. The cores from aerating go away pretty quickly, and its a lot easier than tilling up the entire lawn. The last thing you should be worrying about is the cores. Overseed with the type of seed that works best in you area. If you talking about some bare spots in your lawn, that is no reason to start over.

If you have some compost around, mix some seed into it and spread it around the areas and start watering it.
Old 02-04-2001, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, I've heard that saying before... "overseed".

What does that mean? Or is that what you were talking about, mixing the seed in with compost and watering it?

Thanks guys for all your help!

-Tim
Old 02-04-2001, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

j

OVER SEEDING IS JUST PLANTING OVER EXISTING GRASS
Old 02-05-2001, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

All that is need for seed to germinate is contact with the soil. You can spread seed out over soil and it will germinate fairly quickly. When you seed, the most important thing is water. You need to water lightly often. Best is twice a day, but once a day is a must. You contine watering until the plant gets a decent root system. I did this to a 10x10 bare spot under a 35 yr old oak tree in my front yard this past fall. I now have a very thick stand of fescue.

Total price is about $10.