Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-28-2005, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

rear rotary tillers.

We need to purchase a 3 PT. tiller. It will be used on two tractors with PTO HP between 16 & 22. I'm leaning towards a woods,any opinions out ther'e on the landpride or howard machines? Thankx in advance.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Tiller opinion

First off, all my experience is with bigger sizes of tillers

I own a Howard Rotovator (80", about 10 years old) and a King Kutter (72" about 4 years old) I use them on the rear of a 60HP tractor. They get hammered. :blob3: ESPECIALLY the King Kutter. I bought it for those jobs that should destroy a tiller, so I wouldn't break the (WAY MORE) expensive Howard unit.

I've hit roots, rocks, bricks, stumps, buried car parts, wire, re-bar, and on occation, some dirt....

Not so much as a whimper from it. Point being???? I can buy 3 or 4 King Kutter tillers for what I paid for ONE Howard Rotovator. The Howard unit is one fine piece of equipment, no doubt. Just makes better economic sense to buy the less expensive one. Woods sells a decent tiller. It's made for them by someone else. (Italian Co. Name escapes me at this time) The entire secret to a tiller is making sure the slip clutch'll slip when you need it to. Other than that, this is one case when cheaper might just be better.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Tiller

Add another vote for King Kutter. It's a 6 foot model pulled with a 57hp tractor. In the past two years it's dug up junk than I would think possible without a single failure. I don't know when landfills started operation in Alabama, but I do know what happen to all the trash before that date.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Just about all the tillers out there are pretty good. The three brands you mentioned are all good but you could save quite a bit of money by getting a King Kutter.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Member

I have/use a Rotadarion, its great!. Its very heavy, built better than a tank, cost alsmost as much as a tank, but it does so much more than tilling.
Old 03-09-2005, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've heard a lot of good things about the Befco tillers, they are priced reasonable and are tough as nails. They are manufactured one hour east of here in Rocky Mount, NC.

2004 Ford F-250 XL RC/LB 4x2 Power Stroke Diesel
2010 John Deere Z710A 48" cut
1999 John Deere GT-235/54" deck
1985 John Deere 212 w/38" deck
1983 John Deere 420 w/54" hydraulic front blade
1974 John Deere 140, 54" hydraulic blade, 3pt. hitch, tandem disc, plow, 48" deck
1971 John Deere 112, 38" deck, all original, down for engine rebuild.
1967 IH Cub Cadet 124 w/creeper box, disc, plow
1947 Economy/Power King Tractor S/N 590, fully restored.

Certified John Deere Technician
Old 03-07-2006, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

what exactly is a rotadarion???

Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I use a 6 foot JD good tiller. but when it's gone King Kutter for me!
Old 03-07-2006, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

If you really want to clear land you need a Rotoclear!

We used one to clear what used to be railyards pulverized everything, ties, tracks etc to a fine powder.

There are some drawbacks, you have to pull it with a d7 sized tractor, and it takes about 30 gallons of fuel per hour to operate.

Seriously we had a pegaro tiller behind a yanmar 14hp tracter a few years ago, it did very well. I think it was a 48".

Todd
Old 03-09-2006, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydirtfarmer
First off, all my experience is with bigger sizes of tillers

I own a Howard Rotovator (80", about 10 years old) and a King Kutter (72" about 4 years old) I use them on the rear of a 60HP tractor. They get hammered. :blob3: ESPECIALLY the King Kutter. I bought it for those jobs that should destroy a tiller, so I wouldn't break the (WAY MORE) expensive Howard unit.

I've hit roots, rocks, bricks, stumps, buried car parts, wire, re-bar, and on occation, some dirt....

Not so much as a whimper from it. Point being???? I can buy 3 or 4 King Kutter tillers for what I paid for ONE Howard Rotovator. The Howard unit is one fine piece of equipment, no doubt. Just makes better economic sense to buy the less expensive one. Woods sells a decent tiller. It's made for them by someone else. (Italian Co. Name escapes me at this time) The entire secret to a tiller is making sure the slip clutch'll slip when you need it to. Other than that, this is one case when cheaper might just be better.
Hey Indy, how much was that KingKutter? I'm looking a 60". Does KingKutter have a heavy duty model or are they all the same? Agri-Supply here in Raleigh carries them. I'm sure Smalltimer is familiar with the place. They also carry Caroni. That may be the Italian co. you're thinking of.