Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-04-2005, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

domain name??? what is it?

i'm purchasing a domain name as we speak... $25 for 5 years.

i need some help understanding what exactly this is?
what exactly is a domain name?
if i wanted a website, would i be able to just do 1 later if i just resrved a domain name now?
who actually owns or assigns a domain name??? i use Yahoo for alot of things. if purchased my domain name under them... and they disappear in 4 years.. does my web information become up for grabs, or disappear as well?

what is the difference between web hosting and a domain name? how does yahoo have any right to assign me a ".com" name at all?

sorry so many questions, to me this is very confusing.

i just looked again, what is a "sub-domain" that is included?
Old 03-04-2005, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

- a domain name is basically a pointer to your website. that's really all you want to know if you're not a dork.

- whenever you buy a domain name, the company you bought it through will put up a placeholder page that shows it as taken.

- you can add a site whenever you want.

- a government-assembled consortium that doles them out, typically through 3rd party companies.

- if yahoo were to disappear tomorrow, it would be a short-term hassle, but you still own the domain.

- web hosting is separate and is the actual server space for hosting your site.

- sub-domains are just that. if you wanted to, you could have www.fga.com and www.mulching.fga.com. don't worry about this as the odds are that you don't need to.

tony
Old 03-04-2005, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

www.register.com You can search any website there to see if it is available.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tony's pretty much covered it. A domain name is a url, like www.lawnsite.com. If you just purchase the name, you're basically reserving that name so no one else can use it. Basically, they can give you a domain name because they are a webhosting company. And they can host your website, because they own servers to provide the web space. Really, it's not worth really worrying about.

I do my webhosting through yahoo. It's a bit more expensive than the cheapest available, but it has the advantage of managing all your email accounts through yahoo and through the website on your yahoo page. Plus you can do online editing, etc. It's a pretty cool setup.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdman
I do my webhosting through yahoo. It's a bit more expensive than the cheapest available, but...
to me, the best part about yahoo hosting is you know they'll be there tomorrow. 90% of the time, most non-downtime web problems i encounter are people whining that their $5/mth "host" has folded and they can't readily regain their sites. of the million web hosts, 999,000 of them are just little fly-by-night front-companies that resell someone elses space.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here is two good sites.
www.icann.org/
www.internic.net/regist.html
Old 03-05-2005, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek
to me, the best part about yahoo hosting is you know they'll be there tomorrow. 90% of the time, most non-downtime web problems i encounter are people whining that their $5/mth "host" has folded and they can't readily regain their sites. of the million web hosts, 999,000 of them are just little fly-by-night front-companies that resell someone elses space.
Tony, or anyone else using Yahoo......

do you have a website through them also as your host/server?
i see its $11 a month. it includes the domain and all the other things,, but does it give you a website builder or template to use? i have never done anything like his before. looking to make a simple website wiith some pictures, some info on me, and a way to get estimates.

sub domains?? another question. if you have a site, say for exapmle fga.com. if there is a link in there, say picture of our work, etc. does the adress become fga.pics.com? is that what a sub domain is?

like Lawnsite... lawnsite.com will bring you to the home page. are all the different boards sub domains?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Tony, or anyone else using Yahoo......

do you have a website through them also as your host/server?
i see its $11 a month. it includes the domain and all the other things,, but does it give you a website builder or template to use? i have never done anything like his before. looking to make a simple website wiith some pictures, some info on me, and a way to get estimates.

sub domains?? another question. if you have a site, say for exapmle fga.com. if there is a link in there, say picture of our work, etc. does the adress become fga.pics.com? is that what a sub domain is?

like Lawnsite... lawnsite.com will bring you to the home page. are all the different boards sub domains?[/QUOTE]

Yahoo does have web building tools and html editors to help you build pages, and you can simply ftp your own stuff to the site as well. There is a site management page where you can do all that stuff, see site statistics, put in add-ons, etc. It's very user friendly yet powerful.

I suggest you get a book about html and read it. There are some pretty simple books out there that can give you a cursory understanding of web design and get you going quickly on it. The book we used for my begginer class was HTML for the World Wide Web by Elizabeth Castro s[QUOTE=fga]. I recommend it.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fga

like Lawnsite... lawnsite.com will bring you to the home page. are all the different boards sub domains?
nope. it's all a matter of how your site content is organized. think of it like opening up windows explorer:

- the c: for your main drive would be like lawnsite.com
- the "my pictures folder" would be your "images" folder, or c:/mypictures vs. lawnsite.com/images

seriously... forget you ever saw the word "sub-domain" . it's really more an issue for people that host multiple sites if i can simplify it to that. look at anyone who has a free site, such as from say "tripod.com". their free site, as a subdomain, is "lawnsite.tripod.com".
Old 03-06-2005, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Boy, I really screwed that last post up didn't I? That's what I get for posting at 5am.