Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Flyers door-to-door vs. stuffing in paper

I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with both the door to door method of distributing flyers vs. having your flyer stuffed and distributed in a local paper.

What are the differences in success rate? I am sure that door to door has a higher success rate but I can get so many more out at one time in the local paper. I would be very happy with a 1% success rate with stuffing. Do you think I could get at least that?

It would cost about $300-$350 to print and distribute to about 3000 homes. Maybe less if I do the folding and stuffing myself.

Dave
Old 03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You could do what I'm about to do.... a friend in town wants me to go in 'half' with him on a deal like this. Small town... $300 for 5000 residents or so. So he asked me to design a flyer split down the middle... His mechanic shop on one side and my lawn service on the other. I'm thinkin' it's worth it... the flyers I've been handing out now are 3x8 card stock... so for $150, I can have a bigger ad with more info and hit 5000 homes. Small price to pay. Split the flyer with someone else... for less $$$... less worry. Flyer ads are advertisement, no matter how you look at it... so distribute as many as possible, with the least investment.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

carolina, nice job. that's the best idea for advertising that a lot of people seem to overlook. the most i did at once was 4 companies, as quarter pages of a 4/4 color flyer insert. i designed them and the other companies covered about 85% of the total cost. just got to remember to place any coupons so as not to have any of the other advertiser's important info or coupons cut out along with it.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tonygreek,

What was your success rate on that flyer? Did the other companies tell you what thier success rate was? I assume everyone was happy anyway.

Also what kind of businesses were on the flyer with you?

Thanx,
Dave
Old 03-04-2005, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

For me the response rate was 4x better when hand delivered vs newspaper inserts.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watkinslawnservice
What was your success rate on that flyer?
Did the other companies tell you what thier success rate was? I assume everyone was happy anyway.
Also what kind of businesses were on the flyer with you?
i haven't done this for an lco, it was for my replacement window company so it's a bit different when it comes to a % you might be looking for. we sold 2 jobs, which was probably about 12k worth of work. so for $150 or so, it did very well. i do plan on doing it again as part of our ongoing advertising. i tend to prefer being the only advertiser, but for what i call "maintenance marketing", i plan on doing it again. to me, "maintenance marketing" is the day-to-day marketing, such as service directory ads in the newspaper that are inexpensive and just keep your name out there.

i've done this with an oil change shop and restaurants. these two types of businesses are great for this as people are more likely to hold on to the ad if only for dining and oil change coupons. Reach Magazine and ValPak coupon "magazines" indicate that, along with pizza, are the most popular coupon ads.
Old 03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I see a flyer in a door , I grab it and call them and ask if I can be on the other side .
Let them pass 'em out for me
Old 03-05-2005, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have a buddy of mine that does concrete work and my dad does tax prep and neither of them wanted to go in half with my on my flyer campaign. It's wasn't a whole lot more to have both sides printed, so I went ahead and put my business on both sides. I had much rather split the cost with somebody.

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci