Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-05-2005, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Plug for 6.0 hp tecumseh

Looked in the owners manual supplied with my snapper mower with 6.0 hp tecumseh engine. Manual says RJ19LM, so I go and get it. Got home and took old plug out and it is a RJ17LM, I am pretty sure this is the original plug. Has 4 summers of just mowing my 10,000 square foot residential lot, so not sure how many hours on it. The original plug looked pretty fouled.

So, which is the correct plug ??? I am pretty sure it originally came with the RJ17LM but manual says RJ19LM ??? I am assuming it is a heat range difference, although without taking the new plug out of the package, it looks like the new RJ19LM would extend slightly further.

Is the RJ19LM a hotter plug, or is it colder. What should I do, go with the RJ19LM as the manual states, or go back and exchange it for a RJ17LM ???

Thanks in advance
Old 03-05-2005, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

If the manual says RJ19LM then thats what I would use. I really don't know what the difference is between the two but its not much. I've used both and I can't tell a difference. I think the RJ19LM is a hotter plug but i'm not for sure.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

TF is right. I don't recall the spec on 17/19 as to which is hotter (varies by mfg.) but one way to tell is to look at the insulator, at the "fire" end. A hot plug will have a shorter insulator than a cold plug. If the 19 IS the hot plug, it should help with your plug fouling too.

Also, don't wait 4 seasons to change the plug!